Thread: no sound after xp reinstall

question no sound after xp reinstall

hav exhausted searches for this topic, nothing seems to work...............I reinstalled ,,,,,,,,,,,,clean boot.............xp prof,,,,,,,,,,no sound since., have reinstalled my motherboard driver, sound driver from the mobo cd,,,,,,,,still no sound,,,,,,,,,,download of driver detective,,,,,,,updated chipset drivers, and sound( onboard) driver,,,,,,,,,,,,still no sound. My mobo is foxconn 946 7ma series, custom pc, foxconn site gives update of realtek ac97 , have tried that , tho b4 had realtek high audio, working fine, downloaded that again from driverdetective, still nothing. there are no conflicts or alerts in device manager. ran belarc adviser which shows Intel chipset driver and realtek high def audio,,,, am really perplexed?

Re: no sound after xp reinstall

For that you need to click on your Start menu, then select Control Panel and click on Administrative Tools. After that you need to click on Component Services, then it will open up a separate window. Then on the left pane you need to click on Services(Local) from the tree. After that Scroll down to Windows Audio service, if the service is Disabled then you need to manually right click and select properties. Then under Startup Type you need to change to Automatic after that click on Apply and select Start. Afterwards you need to reboot your system.

Check the thread links given by ThoMas321 in the above post. If nothing helps, then I think your sound card may have not been detected by Windows after Reinstall....To solve this, check the following thread -

Sound Card not detected after XP re-install

What is your motherboard type. You might not be installed drivers for sound card. Right click my computer, properties, third tab - hardware, device manager button. Its possible that you are using the wrong driver, If you have a Cdrom that came with your computer labled Drivers, System software, then the correct driver will be on that Disk.

Happy Re: no sound after xp reinstall

thanks all, I followed the advice , but still had no sound! then had the idea to unplug my speakers,,,,,,,,,realtek was working as it told me 'a jack was unplugged' ( I'd assumed my speakers were working as the power light was on), I rebooted then plugged in speakers again.....hey presto SOUND!,,, SO SIMPLE