Thread: Can Mac Mini play Blue Ray DVD's

Can Mac Mini play Blue Ray DVD's

Hi,
    I am planning to purchase a new TV and that I want to set up a Mac Mini with my new TV but before that I would like to know that it is supporting a Blue Ray DVD. Currently I am not having anything neither the TV nor the Mac Min but I am going to have shortly. I just do not want to buy a Blue Ray player if it is not required.

Does anyone know can Mac Mini play Blue Ray DVD's?

Re: Can Mac Mini play Blue Ray DVD's

The internal optical drive, which comes with the Mac Mini, is only capable of playing DVD. That optical drive can not play Blu-Ray discs. One more thing there is no software in Mac OS that can play Blu-Ray. The only method left for playing the Blu-Ray disc on your Mac Mini is to use the external Blu-Ray disk drive and then boot the Mac OS under Windows.

I am having Leopard MacBook that easily burn the data through an external Blu-ray drive without using any extra software. But why I am not able to watch Blu-Ray movies on my MacBook. Currently I am having LG's BE06 "Super Multi Blue All Format Drive" external Blu-ray player which is connected to my Leopard MacBook and to my Vista Media Centre. But then also I can not watch Blu-Ray movies on my MacBook.

I guess we have to wait till Apple official launch a software that can support the Blu-Ray so that I do not have to stuck with the HDCP hardware which are not compatible with the Blu-Ray. Let’s hop a Blu-Ray enable Mac Mini or a true PVR will be launched very soon.

The only way I can though of is to boot into Windows and use any DVD to rip the Blu-Ray disc to the hard drive in a format that can be read by the software like VLC and then reboot the Mac OS and watch the movie there.

You do not have to worry if you are not able to play Blu-Ray disc on your Mac Mini then you can download the PowerDVD software from its official site. The Best Blu-ray/DVD Player Software Today
    World-renowned PowerDVD 10 delivers outstanding Blu-ray and DVD movie playback quality on your PC. A strong audio-visual computing code offers you playing your HD movies smoothly on high or low spec CPUs.