Thread: Two options for boot at Windows startup

Two options for boot at Windows startup

Hi ,
    I have a problem regarding new installation . I was running very well with windows XP and when I Got the message to install the updates ,I clicked and go ahead for installation but when I restart my computer I has crashed and when I try to get enter in safe mode which also get corrupted. So I decided to install a fresh copy of windows and format the drive in which the windows exist .I started my computer but I am getting 2 options to start windows where as I installed only one.How to remove the second entry from the start up.

Two options for boot at Windows startup

In case,when the computer has been crashed because of some failures in the system,you can recover it from the recovery console also.You need not install a fresh copy and all.
    You have installed the updates of windows from the internet and when it tells you to boot your system to view the changes,the system get corrupt due to some failure you can recover the applied changes from safe mode ,the safe mode is not accessible then you can install a new copy of windows and getting two options at start up.You can remove it from the windows directory.

Removing options for boot at Windows startup

Removing options for boot
    The options which you are getting at start up,you can remove it from the windows directory to use some system generated files.The welcome screen of your system can also be changed .To remove the double options from start up,follow the below steps:
    1- Go to control panel and select the SYSTEM icon .
    2- Double click on the SYSTEM icon and select Advance tab.
    3- After clicking on advance tab,Click on the SETTING button in the start up and recovery section.
    4- Click on EDIT button and a notepad would be appeared.
    5- Remove one entry from the notepad and save it .

Now you can view the changes to start your system.

Issue of removing wrong entry

Issue of removing wrong entry:

If you follow all the steps and edit the one of the entry from the file.The entry that you had edited is incorrect and when you start you system to get the changes then you find your activated entry has been deleted.Now you are getting error to start the windows then don't worry,you can recover or use a new file to download from the internet.

Just download it from the internet and would be downloaded in ISO format.write it on the disk and insert into CD ROM and follow the instructions of recovery.

The BOOT.ini file

The BOOT.ini file :
    The contents of boot.ini files are as below:

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=scsi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\winnt
    [operating systems]
    scsi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\winnt = "Windows NT" /NODEBUG C:\ = "Previous Operating System on C:\"

The meaning of part parameters in the ini file would be as follows :

The TIMEOUT variable shows that how long Windows will waits before choosing the default OS and you can change this paarmeter to increase and decrease the timeout.
    DEFAULT shows the Default operating system.
    SCSI show the number of cotrollers with the bracket.
    DISK(0) indicates the SCSI logical unit (LUN)

Invalid Boot.ini error at startup

Invalid Boot.ini error at startup :

TO resolve this type of problem,you can use the recovery console to recover and perform the Bootcfg.exe file to create a new boot.ini file .

Few steps are here to solve the problem :
    Insert the disk and restart your computer.Go through the installation process of windows Xp and stop when get the menu to start the recovery console.
    Select the boot option and enter the administrator password and type Bootcfg/list .Current entries would be appeared on the screen and now type bootcfg/rebuilt and press enter .

Now your new file has been created and the setup would ask you few questions and go ahead.