Thread: Archlinux and Acer Aspire One: compatible?

Archlinux and Acer Aspire One: compatible?

Saturday, I'll have my NETBOOK, Acer Aspire One. I would like to have Linux, and more particularly Archlinux (for lightness) with Gnome (I do not KDE or Xfce.) Archlinux whether I would support any hardware NETBOOK and, if so, how and what to install (core version or another - the wiki seems quite long and I did not want any print.)

Thank you in advance!

Re: Archlinux and Acer Aspire One: compatible?

I found this article on installing arch on an Acer Aspire One on the official wiki. http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Acer_Aspire_One

Your link looks interesting, but I have difficulty to understand and it seems complicated.

If we told you that you do not understand it might be helpful.

basically, yes you can install arch above, but will display some more .. So reading the wiki is not inevitable (at least you should at least be able to install)

example:
    if you want it to be optimized for your NETBOOK, will you put the kernel-one ... to have a machine that will boot in 20-30 seconds. Then a good file system for your SD card, can help

Quote Originally Posted by HellRaiser111 View Post
    Saturday, I'll have my NETBOOK, Acer Aspire One. I would like to have Linux, and more particularly Archlinux (for lightness) with Gnome (I do not KDE or Xfce.) Archlinux whether I would support any hardware NETBOOK and, if so, how and what to install (core version or another - the wiki seems quite long and I did not want any print.)

Thank you in advance!

I installed on my own with these tips from the wiki page. I had to update the kernel to run the wifi (that is not difficult, but there are dependencies to download and install by hand).

For the xorg.conf I have taken directly from the wiki, and sometimes freeze the laptop when leaving Xfce. I too tried to understand the how the why.

Quote Originally Posted by HellRaiser111 View Post
    Your link looks interesting, but I have difficulty to understand and it seems complicated.

It's not a tutorial, just tricks to successfully operate the laptop. For installation you can follow the general guide of the wiki.