Thread: How to avoid ATi GPU Overheating by Adjusting the GPU Fan Speed

How to avoid ATi GPU Overheating by Adjusting the GPU Fan Speed

Sometime it happens when your graphic card overheating, and with minor fan adjustment you can manage the heating of gpu. There is an very simple process that can help you to adjust the gpu fan. For fixing the same you will need to modify the ATI Gpu bios. After modifying that, you can manage better GPU fan profile. This is not possible with the current bios. Overheating is most common when you overclock your gpu or play heavy graphic games. My tutorial is based on management of GPU Fan profile. This helps you to adjust the fan speed as per the process carried out by Graphic card. Also remember that modifying GPU bios can cause permanent damage to your graphic card also, if it is not done properly. So do the entire process on your own risk.

Creating a new fan profile via RBE

There tool is called as Radeon Bios Editor. The tool is provided by Techpowerup. This tool can help you to modify the bios of your gpu without any hassle. Currently your gpu fan runs on prescribed speed. You can do some adjustment from the BIOS itself. But to load better fan profile you will have to modify the bios and then save the settings on your system. The GUI of this tool is very simple, which makes the operation very easy. Settings can be done easily.
    • First download and install Radeon Bios Editor. This tool is available for free. Run this software.
    • Below in the tool you can see an Aquire/Flash Button. Click on the button to get the image of your bios. Again the popup windows click on Analyze > Acquire.
    • After that go in Fan settings and modify that as you want. You can increase of decrease and also manage other settings. Then click on Acquire/Flash > Flash Bios. Once done reboot your system and your fan settings are saved for all.

Some older air-cooled graphics cards produce a lot of heat. If the temperature in summer is too high, the computer shuts off automatically to protect the graphics card from overheating. Here you can seek advice from an expert, whether it is for a more effective model of the graphics card fan. Another option is to buy a new graphics card with so-called passive cooling. Passively cooled graphics card produce far less heat than air-cooled and has a simple heatsink without a fan to keep the constant temperature of the chip.

Re: How to avoid ATi GPU Overheating by Adjusting the GPU Fan Speed

RBE looks a bit beneficial here. The tool has number of option I had seen. But managing the gpu fan profile is a bit complex procedure here. I prefer to have some kind of ready to use to profiles.

Re: How to avoid ATi GPU Overheating by Adjusting the GPU Fan Speed

I have a GeForce (though not 6800, but a 4800, but I think the cards will behave similarly if overheated). I already had problems with too high temperatures and then I started the image strip to draw and was not black. The tone was normal. The temperature normally stays between 75 ° C-80 ° C. So I would rather touch on one other component (CPU, memory, etc., chipset) or it can be due to faulty power supply. I would open the PC times as much as possible and the best possible way cool. So open the housing to provide fan next to it and fans do again clean. There can be dust in the fan can have a huge thermal insulation. If it's still problems there, I do not believe in an overheating problem.