Thread: No Post/No Video on satellite A505D-S6958

No Post/No Video on satellite A505D-S6958

Hi Guys
    I have a laptop that is my friends and they installed microsoft office 2010 and the install went fine but then after laptop went into hibernate the display will not work anymore.

from what I seen from the laptop is that the power light only comes on and no other lights like hard drive light power light when is plugged in dont come on.

You can hear the hard drive on and you can hear the cpu fan running and the cd rom works but no post and no video. Also there is no beeps.

I have tried to reset the memory at the bottom of the laptop and still no luck and I even tried to take off the hard drive and see if it would give me post or video no luck. I also tried FN+F7 and FN+F8 on external monitor and still no video or post.

this laptop is running windows vista and its model toshiba satellite A505D-S6958
    Last edited by treichhart; 08-06-2011 at 11:00 PM.

Re: No Post/No Video on satellite A505D-S6958

I think that you will need to take out the CMOS battery from your laptop and reseat it in after 15 minutes or so. If it still doesnt work then it might be possible that either there could be a memory problem or onboard video problem. How old is your laptop by the way? Was the laptop dropped or physical damaged before all this happened or was it working perfectly?

how do I clear out the CMOS battery on this laptop and the laptop is only 2 years old and I dont know if its been dropped or anything like that? Also it was just working perfectly couple days ago after installing microsoft office 2010.
    Last edited by treichhart; 09-06-2011 at 07:33 AM.

Update
    I called up toshiba tech support I was explaining the issue to the tech and he placed me on hold and he got back on the phone with me and he told me it was a bad hard drive and that is why there is no post.

I took this laptops hard drive and placed it into my desktop and when I boot it up I get this error:

Your computer cannot come out of hibernation 0xc0000411 Info: A fatal error occurred processing the restoration data. File: \hiberfil.sys

then I hit enter its starts to load then I get this cant display.

so I put the hard drive back into the laptop and still no post or video just a black screen. Could something on the laptop fried or its just a bad hard drive?
    Last edited by treichhart; 09-06-2011 at 10:32 AM.

First i would like to suggest you to disable the hibernation on your system to do this:
    • Make click on the start icon on the desktop and after that go to the run. Now on the run type CMD and after that hit the ok button.
    • Now on the command prompt type the below and after that click the enter after every command:

powercfg.exe /hibernate off
    exit
    Now once you done and after that restart your system.
    now once you finish the restarting and after that perform the Disk Cleanup and then Defragment the drive. now once you done all this and after that go through your issue.

see I cant do anything like you said cruzz because the laptop cant display anything anymore. I think the video adapter is done for.

i think you have issue on your system and so therefore I would like suggest you make sure that your all connection like power cord are working properly and also make sure that your display is working properly. If you think your display is not working properly then I would like to suggest you to contact technician or manufacturer where you bought the system.

I have ripped it down last night and checked all the connections and they all look good. Still no post/display.

Yes I do work on computers.

My next option is just take it into a Toshiba repair center and have the video output looked at.

First of all you will need to disable Hibernation and after that delete the hiberfil.sys file. Once that is done then reboot the computer and run 'Disk Cleanup and after that defragment the drive. Reboot your computer one more time and then re-enable Hibernation. Check the below link on how to disable and re-enable hibernation on a computer that is running Windows (Windows 7, Vista, Server 2008)
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/920730

people I cant even get the display to come up at all and I cant even get the the command prompt to come up and I cant use external monitor because that output is done for also.

Try to remove the hard drive and put it into some USB housing and copy the files out. After that peplace the hard drive, install from the restore media. Boot something with Linux by putting on some other hard drives. Also check with Toshiba Tech Support, or post your model number and they will look up the ID of the trouble report. Most of the time, these kinds of issues can be solved with an updated Firmware/BIOS for the system in question.