Thread: How to disable auto restore with TextEdit in Mac OS X Lion

How to disable auto restore with TextEdit in Mac OS X Lion

I have a new MacBook Pro with Lion 10.7.2 on it. I do not like "restore the windows to exit and re-open applications" alternative in General preferences, so I organize it. This works for the majority applications, other than TextEdit .

For some reason, TextEdit refuses to accept the general preference, and if I edit a text file open, reopen the file the next time I open TextEdit . I do not like this behavior - I desire to work as it did in Snow Leopard. I downloaded a third party control panel called Restore Me Not it is assumed that applications let you choose to disable this function. But he says he cannot be disabled TextEdit .

What is happening? And how I will be capable to avoid TextEdit since the restoration of the windows the next time you launch?

Re: How to disable auto restore with TextEdit in Mac OS X Lion

Well, sorry to say, TextEdit does not have an entry in the folder in my folder saved State user's library. Not convinced why, but why cannot prevent Restore Me Not self-restoration. Unfortunately, it also means I cannot avoid self-restoration of the command line in Terminal, either.

When I go there, the library / / Container / com.apple.TextEdit / Data / Library / Application State Saving / folder is vacant. No file com.apple.TextEdit.savedState there. Even if I open TextEdit , add some text and leave without closing the new document first, that folder is empty.

I'm confused about what is happening here, because TextEdit to relaunch reopens the document you just created, just as it was when I left out. How are you doing that, if not by creating a file saved State?

Sorry, that's all I know and what is on my machine. I issued the command terminal and do not have the trouble:

Code:
    defaults write-int 0 com.apple.TextEdit NSQuitAlwaysKeepsWindows

It seems that none of the information in any of the above by the original creator offers any solution to this trouble. Responding to a query, it would be helpful to in fact to prove the answer rather than publishing blind speculation. Otherwise this forum will become nothing more useful than using Yahoo! Answers as a substitute in line for a professional medical advice.

I made two calls to Apple Care in an attempt to resolve this difficulty, and after speaking with a representative top-level support, it was determined that there is currently no answer: Auto-resume with TextEdit is absolutely inevitable, and close the windows must be done manually, one at a time. I use TextEdit for a variety of reasons, and I use it a lot - so it's very easy for me to have dozens - if not 150 individually TextEdit windows open at any given time, and are forced to close each one of them, each time selecting the "Do not Save", is ridiculous. If TextEdit should by default use auto-resume without the option to turn it off - which, frankly, that's fine - Apple OS X team must implement a way to kill all open documents, if the user so desires.

You know, something along the lines of "close down all open documents -. Warning, all unsaved changes will be lost"

A similar trouble exists with aggravating Preview -. But at least there is a solution that actually worked wonky .unlike wonky suggested solutions for the trouble with TextEdit )

Well, speculation is not blind here as they do not receive the material self-restoring with TextEdit and have used the default settings. Another option is to block com.apple.TextEdit subfolder in your user folder container (inside the library folder hidden), after emptying. Must also reduce their discomfort. However, the simplest solution is that Apple provides users with a switch-off of all these shit.

I agree, this option should really be included in a per-app basis. If there is an option to disable the auto-resume, then you really should be an option to delete all the files open when you choose to do so. Unfortunately, none of the proposals still working - I went through all of them, along with some others, with support from Apple Care, see firsthand and second hand verified at the end of Apple, there is no solution.

Here's to hoping for a solution in the next version of OS X.

I understand what you say, but you are missing the point that I can control with the command TextEdit by default. Create a new administrator user account, log it, as in the default command, launch TextEdit , thus leaving the session and again, and observe if it works as intended.

Mac OS X Lion is the worst operating system I've seen since the initial release (beta) for OS X. s as if Apple took every opportunity to make a wrong decision at every point. It's a shame, too. There once was a day that really enjoyed my Mac Unfortunately, that was many years ago. Now it is barely tolerable.

I'll see if I can get Snow Leopard version of TextEdit . The discussion has been linked to prevention has to do with the search for the restoration of windows in a log or restart the system. That's fine, and I followed the steps there too, but I'm more concerned with the prevention of TextEdit ing since the restoration of its windows to re launch (without rebooting). with any luck Snow Leopard version of TextEdit will resolve the trouble.