Thread: Power saving with powertop in Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6

Power saving with powertop in Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6

I have used Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6, but don't know about the Power saving with powertop... I have given an assignment about it. And I am feeling very bad, since I am not having any idea about it. You members have helped me a lot with my assignments, I am expecting some more help from your side. Please tell me how to do power saving with powertop. Since, I am looking for more notes, I am requesting you members to provide detailed information. Help me fast...

Re: Power saving with powertop in Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6

The introduction of a tickless kernel allows the CPU to idle mode more often to put into one. This reduces power consumption and improved energy management. Using the new powertop tool administrators can define kernel and userspace applications, wake up the CPU. According to the manufacturer was reduced with powertop the number of unnecessary CPU revivals by a factor of ten. Means the system can dynamically tuned devices such as hard drives and network cards and rate monitor. Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 diskdevstat is also responsible for the monitoring of disk and available for the monitoring of network operations.

Control groups are a new feature of the Linux kernel in Red Hat Enterprise Linux sixth every control group is a set of tasks on a system that have been grouped jointly to enhance manage their interaction with system hardware. Control groups can be trailed to monitor the system resources that they utilize. Additionally, system administrators can exercise group control infrastructure to permit or to deny access to detailed control groups seeking system resources as memory, CPUs (or groups of CPUs), networking, I / O, or the scheduler. Management of control groups in user space is offered by libcgroup , enabling system administrators to produce new control groups, start new processes in a control group and locate explicit parameters control group.

The introduction of a tickless kernel allows the CPU to idle mode more often to put into one.
    I think that you should know more about the tickless kernel. Before the kernel implemented a timer that periodically inquired the system to verify if there were any outstanding tasks to process. As a result, the CPU would wait in state to active, overwhelming unnecessary power. The kernel in Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 Enable the new tickless kernel characteristic, replacing the periodic timer disrupts with on-demand interrupts. The tickless kernel Allows CPU to enter a longer sleep states when idle, and wake only when a task is queued for processing.

RHEL 6 brings a new signature for packages. To increase security, these are signed with a 4096 RSA key, and use a SHA-256 hash. Furthermore, the packages by using the "XZ lossless compression" library, which uses the algorithm LZMA2 smaller. The Yum package manager also brings new features. This supports for example through the use of the presto plugin delta rpm.

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 uses the corosync Cluster Engine and join together multiple computers in a network. For administrators, particularly interesting is the possibility might be the "Shared Unified Logging" configuration. Thus, system administrators have a single command with the log of the entire cluster in mind. The developers also have the web administration interface for luci revised. In luci is a component of Conga. It's a server , and clusters of computers can communicate with several. Conga in turn is an integrated collection of components that allows users to manage the RHEL high availability. The developers have also improved support for Internet Protocol Version 6 (IPv6). KVM-virtualized guests can be as managed services run.