Thread: Installing MacPorts & Fink on Snow Leopard (10.6)

Installing MacPorts & Fink on Snow Leopard (10.6)

Here I am, just arrived in the Mac world with a problem (I specify the command line is not new to me, having spent some time in GNU / Linux): gnuplot graph being my favorite tool, I go hunting for its installation. Non-native on Mac (from what I understood), firstly I install Fink without worries. After some research, I see it is better to install readline5 beforehand what I'm doing Fink. Then, all happy, I hit a fink list gnuplot, and there is the drama. The single package is found gnuplot documentation in PDF format. What to do? Help me to sort this out.!!

Re: Installing MacPorts & Fink on Snow Leopard (10.6)

MacPorts does not change the system in depth. It installs the / opt and add paths in $ PATH.
    Code:
    echo $ PATH 
    / Bin: / sbin: / usr / bin: / usr / sbin: / usr / local / 
    bin: / usr / texbin: / opt / local / 
    bin: / opt / local / sbin
    I used Fink for a long time but I think that MacPorts is more stable, I had trouble updating with Fink and FinkCommander.

The installation of gnuplot is underway. He asked me to install dependencies 201 (!). And then he turns from a sacred time to write something bcp (verbose mode requires). To install gnuplot, you can download and install the package gnuplot-4.2.4-1.dmg proposed on Rudix. Rudix is a site that offers many free software from unix mode, pre-compiled version. For me, it's easier and faster than going through MacPorts or Fink.

OS X has its roots at NeXT Step / Step Open where your kernel was based on the Mach with parts of FreeBSD and NetBSD. The kernel has remained as open source (Darwin) and think work on multiple architectures, you may not like the NetBSD 40 but is a sign. Proof of this was the rapid move from PowerPC to Intel and by trade issues to Apple not interested in offering the complete system on other architectures, and obviously that is why this project OSX86 Pimp your Mac OS X to run on PC's not Apple. In addition to applications expressly for OS X supports open source applications based on X11 (X Window System) with projects like Fink and MacPorts.

Not all programs on Linux or Unix source can be compiled directly into OSX. Look in Fink or MacPorts if there is the application you need. These are the GNU software repositories migrated to OSX. Download the source code of a program to take key wi-fi but not compile, error frame when the compiled. Most likely is that OS X does not have any library. The ultimate beneficiary of all this is a company called Apple, today, is the only alternative to purchasing a laptop with Windows 7 Views. On the other hand make hardware that, though expensive, is very careful. And hardware is not the best because I have an apple that lights up from behind. But instead of taking a different model every three months, have a few models and improve every month.

What I like about my Macbook Pro is not aesthetics, it seems that sexually excites many people do the OSX that, although it works and is easy to handle, leaves much to be desired on the side of the options and functionality. What really gets me is :
    • The aluminum casing, clean and strong, and that the hardware instead of being "the Cutting Edge" is well tested because it is the third version of a good design.
    • Is it really easy to set up the operating system I want: Karmic Ubuntu on Macbook Pro 5.3

But the fact of changing SDK xcode does not solve the problem because it before compiling my problem arises by using the Qt qmake-project qmake or even alone. This command is used for the precompiler to integrate the Qt lib to the project. To make a "makefile" by qmake, you must have one. Qmake pro which will be based. But to have this. Pro must first create it using qmake-project with the parameter.