Thread: Unable to Update Latest Windows XP Driver

Unable to Update Latest Windows XP Driver

hi there
    I am having some problems regarding updating windows xp driver.
    I am trying to update drivers for windows xp for 2 hours now.

I also Tried deleting old drivers manually, deleting with nastyfileremover,
    installing the new drivers in a number of different ways.

I also turned off Sophos Virus check as possible but there is one file that
    you can't stop in Task Manager or manually managed to update like that
    before with no problems.

I keep getting "access is denied" message just as the update is about to
    finish. Searched google and nothing useful there

Please help me with this problem

Re: Unable to Update Latest Windows XP Driver

his can be caused by parts of the registry having insufficient access rights. The following recites a Knowledge Base article that has been removed due to inaccuracies and is provided here as a stopgap measure with notes by my fellow MVP Torgeir Bakken, until a new KB article becomes known.

Knowledge base article 873148 (with some additional notes inline and after):

[Begin of obsolete KB article]

You receive an "Access is denied" error message when you try to install Windows XP Service Pack 2

Important This article contains information about modifying the registry. Before you modify the registry, make sure to back it up and make sure that you understand how to restore the registry if a problem occurs.

have you tryed loging in as the adminstrator?

hese issues may occur when permissions on one or more registry keys are restricted in a way that prevents the administrator who installs the update from updating the registry keys. Failure to update a registry key causes the Setup program to fail.

WORKAROUND

Warning If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.To work around this issue, examine the Svcpack.log file to find the registry keys that are causing this issue, and then modify the registry permissions to give access to the user who is trying to install the service pack. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Make sure that the user who is trying to install the service pack is a member of the Administrators security group.

2. Open the Svcpack.log file. By default, this file is located in the C:\Windows folder.

3. Search the log file for references to registry permissions issues. Make a note of the registry keys that are referenced.

4. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK to start Registry Editor.

5. Locate and right-click the registry keys that you noted in step 3 of this procedure, and then click Permissions.

6. Examine the permissions that are configured for each user or group. Identify the restricted permissions that are affecting the user who is trying to install the service pack. Make sure the Administrators group has full access configured.
    7. Quit Registry Editor.

After you follow these steps, try again to install the service pack.

This can be caused by virtual drive software. Try to deactivate such software. If this is not enough, you may have to uninstall it entirely.

Another possible cause is that some version of the offending file is already on the hard disk and cannot be overwritten for one reason or another. (This has been reported, for example, for the file branches.inf.) A way to get around this problem is to rename the old file on your hard disk. You can do this even while you still have the error message on your screen. Find and rename the file on your disk, then click on the Retry button in the error message dialog box.

If renaming fails at first, because the file on the disk is read-only, removing the read-only attribute may already cure the problem.

Ive never really experienced any updating windows xp driver on my own computer..on the other hand my friend had a great deal of crap problems with his..i do not remember the exact problems but the program used was called pchealthadvisor...it seemed to work for him it may for you...idk..just giving helpful info Deatails on pchealthadvisor