Thread: Not able to boot properly in windows xp after latest update of avast

Not able to boot properly in windows xp after latest update of avast

I have installed the latest updates of the updated today on my machine and after the updates I was asked to reboot the machine so I did the same and then after the boot up I found that the desktop icons, taskbar were missing so I restarted it again and then it was not booting in the normal mode for the first time but then later I was able to enter the normal mode later I rebooted the machine and I entered in the safe mode and then went through the avast and found a warning message unsecured but then when I am clicking on the fix button then it is not working. Is there anyone who has faced the same and has an idea about it and can help me out. Any help regarding the same will be appreciated.

Re: Not able to boot properly in windows xp after latest update of avast

I have installed the latest updates of the updated today on my machine and after the updates I was asked to reboot the machine so I did the same and then after the boot up I found that the desktop icons, task bar were missing so I restarted it again and then it was not booting in the normal mode so I enter the safe mode and then went through the avast and found a warning message unsecured but then when I am clicking on the fix button then it is not working. Is there anyone who has faced the same and has an idea about it and can help me out. Any help regarding the same will be appreciated.
    Before I suggest you anything I will like to know that is there any other security software that you are using??

Yes I am having ZoneAlarm firewall as well with the avast, so I just wanted to know that is the problem because of the ZoneAlarm firewall and if yes then how, I am asking so because I have been using the same ZoneAlarm firewall before the update as well and I had never faced any such problem before and then problem appeared after the update. I am very sure that there was no problem before. Any further help for the same will be appreciated.

I am not saying that the ZoneAlarm firewall might be the culprit in your case but then it is recommended to use only one security software at one time in our computer because if you have more than one than it has founds to be interfering with each other process and there are many different problem that arise because of the same. There are possibilities that you might be having the same case, so I will suggest you to remove the ZoneAlarm firewall and then see if you are having the same problem or not. If not then let me know I will definitely try to help you out with different solution. Best of luck.

Yes I will suggest you the same even I was using ZoneAlarm firewall previously on my machine that was running on windows xp and I was having a lot of issue with the same but then I removed the ZoneAlarm firewall and all the issue was solved, even I did not thought that it might be because of the ZoneAlarm. So remove the ZoneAlarm and if at all you need other firewall than I will suggest you to go with the PC Tools Firewall because I have been using the same after the issue with the ZoneAlarm and now I am not facing any further problem with the PC Tools Firewall and it has been almost 6 months. So first remove the ZoneAlarm and then try out the PC Tools Firewall. Just try it out and then let me know what result you get?

Hey guys thanks for your help I have now removed the ZoneAlarm and I have installed the PC Tools Firewall and I am not facing any problem now, Thanks to you all for your help, I really appreciate them.

I am having the same problem and I even I was using the avast and the ZoneAlarm on win xp sp3 and I have updated the avast and since after that I am have been facing multiple problems, I have also tried to boot in the safe mode and even I found the message reads 'unsecured' but then the Fix Now button is just not responding and the other problem that I am facing is that I am not able to access the internet and when I checked the hardware in system properties then I am not able to see anything in the list no sound, not video and no Ethernet and all. I am really running out if ideas and I don’t know what to do now is there anyone who can help me further??

I think that you will have to try out the system and for that just reboot the machine and then press f8 and then you will get a list of options so just select the last known configuration and restore from there and see if it is helping you out or not. Check it out and then let me know if it is solving the problem or not, Best of luck.

I have tried out the same but then it is really not helping me out and I am left with the same problem. Other than that when I thought of deleting the firewall rules but then when I entered the Windows Firewall then I was welcomed with the following message:
    “Windows Firewall settings cannot be displayed because the associated service is not running. Do you want to start it”
    When I selected the yes option here than I again got a message saying that the “" Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall/ICS service." What should I do know please help!!!

If you are able to boot in the safe mode than I think that you can try out a workaround:
    • First go in to the safe mode and then uninstall the avast.
    • After that boot in to the normal mode and then go in to RUN BOX TAB. Type sfc/scannow and if required then use the xp sp3 cd in order to repair the windows files/drivers.
    • When you are done with repairing the drivers then just run a malwarebytes free in order to check if there are any infections, if it finds any than just remove them.
    • After that just go in to the device manager and check out if there is any driver that is not configured correctly, I mean check out if there is any driver having the exclamation mark, if you find any then try to repair them again with the cd if they are still not getting repaired then access the internet and update them.

I think that the above solution should help you out, so just try it out and then let me know what you get.

I think that the above solution will be the best for you, later when you get the drivers back then do not use more than one security software on your computer again. Best of luck

Hey I am really thankful to you for that, I have done the same and now I have got all my drivers back and I won’t try out the avast again. I am happy that I have finally solved the issue with your help, thanks to you all once again.