Thread: Getting low 10GbE card throughput

Getting low 10GbE card throughput

I am having HP DL380 as well as backup disk appliance. Both are using the Intel X520 10GbE adapters and they are connected with the help of fiber. I performed a test with the help of a utility which generates a casual file on whatever purpose is specified, therefore it consumes source disk out of the equation. I am executing the test locally and I am able to see the local physical disk lying on the DL380 is able to write at around 400 MB/sec. While I ran it not in favor of SAN attached disk, I was equipped to write at about 500 MB/sec, that is the edge of the 4 Gbps fiber channel HBA's that we utilize. While I ran it next to the backup toward disk appliance through the 10 Gig Ethernet connections then it was just able to write at 330 MB/sec. The seller said that the disk subsystem is able to ingest over 1000 MB/sec, therefore I should be able to saturate the 10GbE NIC but I can't. I even attempted with the multiple streams of data. Anyone have any knowledge tuning/troubleshooting 10GbE performance?

re: Getting low 10GbE card throughput

I would like to tell you that Larger MTU will provide you enhanced throughput for the file transfer but that depends on the protocol.

The benefit of a super speedy connection and disk array is that it will be able to get data as of numerous sources at the similar time at the utmost speed probable for every client concurrently. To really test the abilities of your disk storage system, you will possibly have got to throw data at it as of a number of different systems all at the same time except your server is set up through an extremely fast disk array also.

I really do not believe that what is told to you by the seller. I have to install and load check a high end clustered NAS once as well as real-life performance was 50% of what the seller was claiming. This looks like the vendors throw are you are what a system can attain under principle circumstances and does not reproduce real-life performance by any means.

Every power saving features is deactivated on the server and I couldn't locate any particularly for NIC. There is no switch flanked by them. We don't have some accessible 10 GbE infrastructure therefore we ran fiber unswervingly as of the backup server to D2D device. The exact volumes I am testing with are on combined through a minimum of 40 spindles; some of them encompass almost 100. I have also got old SAN saturate a 4 Gb fiber channel link therefore I am pretty sure that new SAN is able to do at least that, particularly through 8 Gb fiber channel HBA's. I found our condition was friendlier since the IOPS are not as big a concern as throughput. It would be pretty disappointing to just get 30% of the rated throughput.