Thread: Windows 2003 volume full error

Windows 2003 volume full error

I am using Windows 2003 server at my office. I am recently purchased a new hard drive of about 80GB and only occupied 10GB space of it. But the problem is that Windows is showing me a warning message and says "volume is full". How is this possible? How can a newly installed hard drive and be occupied so soon? When I checked it, I found many of the files with .bak extension on my new drive. How is this created? Can you help me fix volume full error on my Windows 2003 operating system?

Re: Windows 2003 volume full error

Have you tried running Scandisk? Also try to defragment your drive and see if you gain some space. However .bak files are basically some kind of backup files which you might have done. If you have installed some software which automatically creates a backup of your data then you can delete some of the older files which you think is of no use. I mean if you are running an application namely ABC and you take the backup of each and every date then there will hundred of files that can be created within a short period of time. But it is pretty obvious that if you have the backup of last week then there is no need of keeping the backup of files previous of that day.

Try to empty all your temporary folders and Recycle Bin, delete all your histories. Click Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Diskclean up. Run diskcleanup and delete all the old junks. If you are taking the backups of your data and don't want Windows to handle this then you can even disable System Restore feature of Windows to free up few more GB's of hard drive space.

You can use some third party software to free up your disk space. Just google for such software and you will find a lot if related software to free your hard drive. Meanwhile also some similar threads here:

Always shows hard-disk full ?
    http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...ce/1031506.htm
    Will Dell Studio Hybrid read full hard disk
    http://forums.techarena.in/server-up...ce/1142398.htm