Thread: How to choose a motherboard for your PC for August 2008

How to choose a motherboard for your PC for August 2008

The motherboard is the basic component of the computer:
    depending on the choice of you, the choice in the processors (CPU),the type of memory (RAM) and ports of extension:
    number of ports graphics, number of connections Sata for hard disks and optical drives

The fundamental component of the motherboard is the chipset:
    it determines which CPU can work on this motherboard (they must be compatible socket), it also determines the type of RAM managed (only DDR2, only DDR3, or DDR2 / DDR3)

The different choice of a motherboard will be detailed below, depending on the use that is destined to the PC.

Types of PC

Depending on the type of PC that you want to climb, the choice of different components does not follow the same requirements, especially for the motherboard that interests us here.

A distinction 3 types of PC.

PC "Office"

The motherboard is equipped with an integrated graphics chip, enough to display 2D, and allowing even play a few games greedy little resources, like most online games.

PC "Home Movies"

The power of the graphics card, integrated or not, does not matter, but his ability to play high-definition videos will be important, as well as connections or TV screen.

PC "Performances"

The power of the CPU is important, as well as the ability to mount 2 graphics cards coupled to be comfortable in 3D games.

Only options for the motherboard of a PC "performances" will be comprehensive, because it is the most complex solutions for other types of PCs will be given directly to the paragraph "advice equipment."

Choice of CPU

Choice of CPU

The choice priority is the CPU: do we want an Intel platform or AMD?

Since the release of Core 2 Duo in the summer of 2006, Intel CPUs dominate the market in terms of performance, but also in terms overclocking (for those interested in it), whether the Dual Cores or Quad Cores.
    They all are socket ( LGA-775 ). Nevertheless, some CPU like AMD, may be interesting from a performance / price ratio, as the Athlon X2 5000 + and 6000 +, or Phenom.

This are the solutions for the 2 platforms : .

If we opt for an Intel CPU, another choice arises:
    do we want an Intel chipset or nvidia?
    Intel chipsets are planned for the Crossfire, which consists of technical coupler 2 ATI graphics cards.They are also very good for overclocking, they go in frequency, especially P45, burned at 65nm (instead of 90 nm), but the FSB report: RAM is a discrete values (not continuous). The nVidia chipsets are planned for SLI, which is to combine 2 nVidia graphics cards.They are less good at overclocking, as they heat very much, but the FSB report: RAM can be adjusted continuously.

Platform Intel 775

The Intel® Desktop Board DG31PR Classic Series has been optimized to deliver new levels of performance and reliability for home and business users.

The Intel Desktop Board DG31PR is built to support a range of processors including the Intel® Core™2 Quad processor (95W TDP) and the Intel® Core™2 Duo processor. This board can support up to 4GB of dual channel DDR2 800/667 MHz SDRAM. It also offers Intel® High Definition Audio with support for 5.1 surround sound, integrated 10/100/1000 Network connection and ample USB connectors for all your computer paraphernalia.

Intel Chipsets

Intel Chipsets

The Intel chipsets most common in 2008 are the P35 and P45 for chipsets "standards", the X38 and X48 chipsets for "luxury".

Intel X48 motherboard

Designed for enthusiasts with extreme over-clocking and blistering gaming performance in mind, the GIGABYTE GA-X48-DS5 is based on the killer combination of the newest Intel X48 chipset plus support for the latest multi-core processors up to FSB 1600MHz, including the Intel 45nm processors. The GA-X48-DS5 is CrossFireX enabled with true dual PCI-E 2.0 x16 connectivity for the ultimate in extreme gaming performance. Built tough to provide maximum stability, durability and performance for even the most hard-core gamers, the GA-X48-DS5 delivers several advanced GIGABYTE innovations including the Ultra Durable 2 design, featuring top quality electronic components which provide optimized power savings, ultra cooling and extended system durability.

Intel X38 motherboard

Desktop PC platforms based on the Intel® X38 Express Chipset, combined with either the Intel® Core™2 Duo, Intel® Core™2 Quad or Intel® Core™2 Extreme processors establish a new standard for performance. Designed with headroom and engineering passion, the Intel X38 Express Chipset supports new dual-channel DDR3 memory technology, next generation dualX16 PCI Express 2.0 and Intel® Extreme Tuning to unleash exceptional performance in today's gaming applications

Intel P35 motherboard

The Intel® Desktop Board DP35DP Media Series in the ATX form factor delivers improved performance and capabilities for multimedia creation and enjoyment. With support for Intel® quad-core processors and Intel® Viiv™ processor technologyΔ, this desktop board merges the energy-efficient power of the Intel® Core™2 Quad processor with enhanced expandability, and consumer electronics integration.

The Intel Desktop Board DP35DP is Microsoft Windows Vista* Premium Ready.

Intel P45 motherboard

Desktop PC platforms based on the Intel® P45 Express Chipset, combined with either the Intel® Core™2 Quad processor or Intel® Core™2 Duo processor, drive performance and state-of-the-art technology to mainstream and performance platforms. The Intel® P45 Express Chipset supports the latest 45nm Intel® Core™2 processor family at 1333MHz FSB, dual-channel DDR3, Intel® Extreme Memory Profiles (Intel® XMP), dual PCI Express* 2.0 graphics and Intel® Extreme Tuning.

These are the main features of the above motherboard :
    The P35 manages a graphic port PCI Express x16, and the other x4 standard, 1.1; it is not advisable for existing equipment.
    The P45 manages 1 port PCI Express x16 or 2-port PCI Express x8 the standard 2.0, permitting a limited x8 CrossFire;
    The X38 and X48 manage 1 or 2-port PCI Express x16 to the standard 2.0; CrossFire they allow unrestricted;
    The X48 manages more the FSB to 400 MHz, while 3 others did manage to maximize the FSB to 333 MHz (without overclocking).
    They manage all types 2 RAM, DDR2 or DDR3, feasibility depends on the manufacturer of the motherboard.

NVidia chip sets for Intel

NVidia chip sets for Intel

The nVidia chipsets most common in 2008 are as follows: , 650i SLI, 680i SLI, 750i SLI, 780i SLI and 790i SLI.

Nvidia 650i SLI motherboard

Power for High-Performance SLI Gaming
    NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI MCPs provide features designed with the gamer in mind. With NVIDIA SLI technology, you can combine two NVIDIA GeForce graphics cards for scalable graphics performance and take advantage of NVIDIA® FirstPacket™ technology to prioritize your gaming traffic. Be ready for system overclocking and greater data throughput.

Power for High-Performance Gaming
    NVIDIA nForce 650i Ultra MCPs provide features designed with the gamer in mind. Take advantage of NVIDIA FirstPacket technology to prioritize your gaming traffic and be the 'King of Ping'.

NVidia 750i SLI motherboard

NVidia 750i SLI deliver NVIDIA SLI technology for heart-stirring gaming performance at a great price. With PCI Express 2.0 for twice the bandwidth and industry-leading nForce features for an enhanced PC experience, NVIDIA nForce 750i SLI is the price/performance solution for the DirectX® 10 gaming experience.

SLI Performance, Great Price
    Get as much as 2x the performance of a single card configuration with support for NVIDIA® SLI™ technology. Play the latest DirectX® 10 games at mind-blowing frame rates and resolutions without breaking the bank.

Great DirectX 10 Gaming Experience
    Up your game by pairing NVIDIA nForce 750i SLI with two NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT graphics cards and experience next generation DirectX® 10 games the way they're meant to be played.

nVidia nforce 630i motherboard

NVIDIA nForce 630i MCPs deliver uncompromised features with integrated Gigabit Ethernet for top networking performance, support for 1333 FSB CPUs, DDR2-800 memory, high-bandwidth SATA storage, and full PCI Express x16 slot for expandability and additional performance.

Extreme Overclocking
    Unleash the underlying hardware to push the limits on front side bus (FSB) speed, the nForce 600i series is designed for overclocking. *Feature not available on nForce 630i

NVidia 790i SLI motherboard

The Fastest, Most Overclockable Rig
    Get unbeatable performance at stock and overclocked speeds (single GPU). NVIDIA nForce 790i Ultra SLI MCPs offer the highest CPU FSB overclocking with the latest CPU technology as well as unrivaled DDR3 memory overclocking. And real-time component monitoring and tuning features with ESA give you complete control over your PC.

Unmatched DirectX 10 Gaming with SLI
    Combine two dual-GPU NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GX2 graphics cards and an nForce 790i Ultra SLI -based motherboard to enjoy earth-shattering Quad SLI technology and the rapid-firing gaming performance of next-generation DirectX 10 games the way they’re meant to be played.

Designed for Next-Generation CPUs and Technologies
    nForce 790i Ultra SLI -based motherboards include support for 1600 FSB CPUs, DDR3 memory and PCI Express 2.0 giving you access to the fastest performance on the planet and headroom for the future

Nvidia 680i SLI motherboard

NVIDIA nForce® 680i SLI™ media and communications processors (MCPs) deliver the tools and performance PC enthusiasts demand. Experience enhanced system performance by combining up to three NVIDIA® GeForce® graphics cards with NVIDIA® SLI™ technology. With select SLI-Ready memory with EPP you get automatic access to special memory performance. Be ready for system overclocking and greater data throughput.

nvidia 780i motherboard

nvidia 780i are the foundation for the world's ultimate gaming PC. Maximize your rig's performance with 3-way SLI technology, achieve ultimate control with the real time component monitoring and tuning features the first platform designed for ESA-certified components, and experience phenomenal DirectX® 10 gaming with the best platform for GeForce GPUs.

Maximize Your Rig's Performance
    Get as much as 2.8x the performance of a single card configuration with support for 3-way NVIDIA® SLI™ technology. Play the latest DirectX® 10 games at mind-blowing frame rates and resolutions for an unmatched gaming experience.

Spectacular DirectX 10 Gaming Experience
    Up your game by pairing NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI with three NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX or GeForce 8800 Ultra graphics cards and experience next generation DirectX® 10 games the way they're meant to be played.

Achieve Ultimate Control
    Real-time component monitoring and tuning features give you complete control over your PC. Maximize your PC's performance through an immersive, all-in-one, 3D system monitor application.

These are the main features of the above motherboard :

The 630i manages a port PCI Express x16, the 650i SLI manages 2 to x8, and 680i SLI manages 2 to x16.
    Unfortunately, they did manage that ports PCI Express graphics with the standard 1.1, they are not recommended for existing equipment.
    The 750i SLI manages 2 port PCI Express to the standard 2.0, one x16 and the other in x8, allowing SLI under conditions correct;
    The 780i SLI manages up to 4 ports PCI Express x16 to the standard 2.0, with a port only x8 (combination 16/16/16/8), and so it allows 3way-SLI without restriction.
    Finally, the 790i SLI manages up to 3 PCI Express ports in the x16 standard 2.0, and also allows the 3way-SLI.
    His performances are the best on Intel platform (it is slightly above the X48).
    They manage all the DDR2 RAM, except the 790i, which manages the DDR3.

Platform AMD & NVidia

Platform AMD & NVidia

In the same way as for the Intel platform 775, a choice must be made for the chipset:

AMD or nVidia?

AMD Chipsets

AMD 790X

The AMD 790X Chipset and support for the new AMD Phenom™ quad-core processors, with the latest AM2+ platform support, integrated DDR2 1066 memory controller, HyperTransport™ 3.0 technology links and 128-bit Floating Point Units. The GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-DS4 also features support for PCI Express 2.0 as well as ATI CrossFireX™ with dual x8 connectivity for the ultimate gaming experience. In addition to setting new records for blistering performance, the GA-MA790X-DS4 is part of the GIGABYTE Ultra Durable 2 series of motherboards, featuring top quality electronic components which provide optimized power savings, ultra cooling and extended system durability.

AMD 790FX

AMD 790FX Chipset is designed to support up to 5200MT/s HyperTransport™ 3.0 (HT 3.0) interface speed and quad PCI Express™ 2.0 x16 graphics. It is optimized with AMD latest AM2+ and multi-core CPUs to provide excellent system performance and overclocking capabilities.

Overview for AMD 790FX & AMD 790X Chipset

The 2 chipsets currently the most interesting in a socket AMD AM2 + are the 790X and the 790FX. The 790X manages 2 port PCI Express to the standard 2.0, one x16 and the other in x8 (combination 16 / 8), allowing the CrossFire under conditions correct. The 790FX manages 1 or 2-port PCI Express x16 in the 2.0 standard, allowing the CrossFire without restriction.They manage RAM DDR2 up to 1066 Mhz.

NVidia chipsets for AMD

NVidia 750a

NVIDIA nForce 750a SLI MCPs deliver NVIDIA SLI technology for gaming performance at a great price. With PCI Express 2.0 for twice the bandwidth and NVIDIA® HybridPower™ technology for low-power quiet operation, nForce 750a SLI is the price/performance solution for the DirectX 10 gaming experience.

Intelligent Power Management
    Plug in select NVIDIA® GeForce® GPU(s) and experience HybridPower technology. Unleash graphics performance for demanding 3D games and applications when you need it or opt for a quiet, low-power PC experience when browsing the web, word processing or watching HD videos.

SLI Performance, Great Price
    Get as much as 2x the performance of a single card configuration with support for SLI technology. Play the latest DirectX 10 games at mind-blowing frame rates and resolutions without breaking the bank

Great DirectX 10 Gaming Experience
    Up your game by pairing nForce 750a SLI with two GeForce 9 series graphics cards and experience next generation DirectX 10 games the way they’re meant to be played.

NVidia 780a SLI

NVIDIA nForce 780a SLI MCPs power the most feature rich, high performance motherboards for AMD CPUs. As the first enthusiast platform to feature NVIDIA HybridPower™ technology, get the best of both worlds with 3-way SLI for maximum graphics performance and HybridPower for low-power quiet operation. Further harness the power of your rig with real time component monitoring and tuning features of the first ESA-certified platform for AMD CPUs.

Intelligent Power Management
    Plug in select NVIDIA® GeForce® GPUs and experience HybridPower technology. Unleash graphics performance for demanding 3D games and applications when you need it or opt for a quiet, low-power PC experience when browsing the web, word processing or watching HD videos.

Achieve Ultimate Control
    Real-time component monitoring and tuning features of NVIDIA control panel with ESA give you complete control over your PC. Maximize your PC’s performance through an immersive, all-in-one, 3D system monitor application.

Spectacular DirectX 10 Gaming Experience
    Up your game by pairing nForce 780a SLI with three GeForce 9800 GTX graphics cards and experience next generation DirectX 10 games the way they’re meant to be played.

Overview for NVidia 750a & 780a SLI

The 2 chipsets the most interesting currently at nVidia in socket AM2 + SLI are 750a and 780a SLI. The 750a SLI manages 2 port PCI Express to the standard 2.0, one x16 and the other in x8, allowing SLI under conditions correct. The 780a SLI manages 3 PCI Express ports in the x16 standard 2.0, with the 16/16 combination or 16/8/8: it allows the SLI without restriction, and 3-way SLI under conditions correct.They manage RAM DDR2 up to 1066 Mhz.

Selecting equipment

These specifications are defined, you should be able to choose a motherboard based on the CPU and type of use you want for your PC.
    To simplify the task, a selection of motherboards corresponding to different choices described above will you be proposed.
    Manufacturers are quite few, the manufacture of motherboards is mainly due to 3 major manufacturers: Asus, Gigabyte and MSI, but there are also some outsiders, like Abit, Foxconn.
    Asrock is not really a manufacturer, it is a subsidiary of Asus producing low-cost cards.

Most maps presented operation with the DDR2, because in the summer of 2008, the DDR3 will cost significantly more expensive for a negligible gain: DDR2 vs DDR3
    Only solutions high-end will be interested to acquire right now DDR3.

Motherboard for "Home Movies" PC

Motherboard for "Home Movies" PC

Asus M3N-H/HDMI:

This motherboard supports AMD AMD Socket AM2+ multi-core processors with unique L3 cache and delivers better overclocking capabilities with less power consumption. It features dual-channel DDR2 1066 memory support and accelerates data transfer rate up to 5200MT/s via HyperTransport™ 3.0 based system bus.

This is a model ATX format, which uses the chipset nVidia GeForce 8300, recently released. Among the features of this card, note taking full responsibility HDMI to connect a TV Full-HD at the motherboard (1080p).
    Moreover, the M3N-H/HDMI is compatible with the new technology-Hybrid SLI nVidia: with a compatible graphics card, as the 9800 GTX, it will disable the 3D GPU when not in use, and automatically switch on the circuit integrated graphics on the motherboard, in order to save energy.

Motherboard for your "office" PC

Motherboard for your "office" PC

Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H:

The GA-MA78GM-S2H is GIGABYTE’s next generation, high performance platform based on the new AMD 780G Chipset and support for the new AMD Phenom™ quad-core processors, with the latest AM2+ platform support, integrated DDR2 1066 memory controller, HyperTransport™ 3.0 technology links and 128-bit Floating Point Units. In addition, GA-MA78GM-S2H features with two innovative S features- Safe, Smart technologies, further providing reliable and user friendly computing and reaching the maximum system performance easily via personalized software settings. GIGABYTE S series motherboards, the champion’s choice for AMD AM2+ platform!

It is a motherboard that uses the new AMD chipset, 780G. It enjoys an integrated circuit graphics DirectX 10 for a full compatibility with Windows Vista.The card offers microATX format output connectors a complete view of the exit screen since found a VGA port, a DVI and HDMI socket.

Motherboard for "Performances" PC

Motherboard for "Performances" PC in midrange

Selection Intel 775

Asus P5Q Pro (CrossFire)

The P5Q PRO is an Intel® P45 chipset-based motherboard that combines powerful performance with great energy efficiency; and supports DDR2 1200MHz dual-channel memory architecture and two PCI Express 2.0 x16 lane for extreme graphics performance. It also comes with the world´s best ASUS EPU -6 Engine, allowing the CPU power supply to be digitally monitored and fine-tuned with improved VRM efficiency in heavy or light loadings – attaining the best possible power efficiency and energy savings to help save the environment. The P5Q PRO also supports ASUS Express Gate– an Linux OS bootup for instant access to the Internet in 5 seconds.

Based on the Intel P45 chipset, the motherboard is characterised by a cooling system improved, it is equipped with two PCI-Express 16x v2.0, but operating in CrossFire 8x.It works with DDR2 memory up to 1200Mhz.Level compatible processors, it manages the FSB1600.It has 8 ports Sata II, and a port PATA (IDE), but no e-port Sata.

MSI P7N SLI Platinum (SLI)

The board supports most current Intel LGA 775 processors, DDR2 memory operating in Dual Channel mode up to 800MHz officially, and dual card SLI graphics mode using matched NVIDA graphics cards. MSI designed the P7N SLI Platinum board as a feature complete solution, meaning that it requires a minimal number of components for full operation including an Intel LGA 775 processor, DDR2 memory, a video card, drives, and a PSU. The following ports are integrated in to the P7N SLI Platinum’s design

Based on the chipset NVIDIA nForce 750i SLI, it runs the latest Intel Core 2 Duo up to 1333 MHz FSB, including models engraved on 45nm.Cote memory, the card manages DDR2 up to 800 Mhz.Using the cooling system CircuPipe, a copper silent, the card manages the PCI-Express v2.0 with the presence of three PCI-Express 16x, but the connectors 2 and 3 are operating in x8 SLI mode .It has 4 ports Sata II, 2 e-Sata ports and 2 ports PATA (IDE) and a network port Gigabit (FireWire taken optional).

Selecting AMD

GA-MA790X-DS4 (CrossFire)

The GA-MA790X-DS4 is GIGABYTE's next generation, high performance platform based on the new AMD 790X Chipset and support for the new AMD Phenom™ quad-core processors, with the latest AM2+ platform support, integrated DDR2 1066 memory controller, HyperTransport™ 3.0 technology links and 128-bit Floating Point Units. The GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-DS4 also features support for PCI Express 2.0 as well as ATI CrossFireX™ with dual x8 connectivity for the ultimate gaming experience. In addition to setting new records for blistering performance, the GA-MA790X-DS4 is part of the GIGABYTE Ultra Durable 2 series of motherboards, featuring top quality electronic components which provide optimized power savings, ultra cooling and extended system durability.

Based on AMD 790X chipset, it has 2 PCI-Express 16x v2.0, but when CrossFire, a port in east x16 and the other in x8.It works with the DDR2 of 667Mhz to 1066Mhz.The menu offers connectors 4 Serial ATA-3 Gb / s, and a PATA connector. It has a 7.1 Surround audio channels.
    It has also taken 3 and 2 FireWire taken network-type Gigabit Ethernet.

MSI K9N2 SLI Platinum (SLI)
    Easy connect to front panel & chassis cable. 2x USB, IEEE 1394, front panel (JFP1/2)& audio(JAUD1) M-connector in the package . Easy to tell the definition of each pin. Functions designed with button to be easy use. Help power-users tweaking process in-chasis enviornment . Onboard SATA ports are stacked on the mainboard to avoid mechanical issue with giant graphic cards like 8800 Ultra. Key components status hardware monitor. Monitor the Dual Core CPU each unit status. Optimize System status define. Auto speed up with system loading change. The MSI Live Update online is designed to automatically download and update the BIOS and driver when there’s a new version online. It helps reduce the risk of getting the wrong file and minimize the trouble of searching the files from MSI website.

Based on the chipset NVIDIA nForce 750a SLI, it accepts the X2 and Phenom, and manages the DDR2 up to 1066Mhz.Using a cooling system only slightly less sophisticated than that of its sister version Intel, the card manages the PCI-Express v2.0 with the presence of 2 PCI-Express 16x, but in SLI mode, one is in x16 ( dark blue) and the other in x8 (light blue).It has 6 ports Sata II, 2 ports e-Sata ports and 4 PATA (IDE) and a network port Gigabit (FireWire taken optional).

Motherboard for "Performances" PC in high-end

Selection for Intel 775

Asus P5E (CrossFire)

This motherboard supports the latest Intel Core™2 processors in LGA775 package. It also can support Intel next generation 45nm Multi-Core CPU. With new Intel Core™ microarchitecture technology and 1600 / 1333 / 1066 / 800 MHz FSB, Intel Core™2 processor is one of the most powerful and energy efficient CPU in the world.

Based on Intel's X38 chipset, the motherboard is characterised by a cooling system complete, it is equipped with two PCI-Express 16x v2.0,fully compatible CrossFire. It works with DDR2 memory up to 1200Mhz, and manages to 1600Mhz FSB. It has 6 ports Sata II, and a port PATA (IDE), a FireWire port Gigabit network, but no e-port Sata.

Selection for AMD

GA MA790FX-DQ6 (CrossFire)

The GA-MA790FX-DQ6 is GIGABYTE's next generation, high performance platform based on the new AMD 790FX Chipset and support for the new AMD Phenom™ quad-core processors, with the latest AM2+ platform support, integrated DDR2 1066 memory controller, HyperTransport™ 3.0 technology links and 128-bit Floating Point Units.

Based on AMD 790FX chipset, compatible Phenom, the card gets an efficient cooling copper, and has four PCI-Express 16x v2.0, but when CrossFire, 2 ports are x16, and 2 others X8. Attention mounting for best performance. It works with the DDR2 of 667Mhz to 1066Mhz. The map proposes six-Serial ATA connectors 3 Gb / s, and also two e-SATA connectors. It has taken 3 FireWire controllers and 2 Gigabit network type.It has a 7.1 Surround audio channels. It offers care patterns RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 0 +1.

Motherboard for "Performances" PC in very high-end

MSI X48C Platinum (CrossFire)

Easy connect to front panel & chassis cable. 2x USB, IEEE 1394, front panel (JFP1/2)& audio(JAUD1) M-connector in the package. Easy to tell the definition of each pin. Intel certified high speed memory technology. Enables users to take advantage of the fastest DDR3 memory. (over DDR3-1600). Provide a mechanism for end users to easily tune performance. Equip with 2 or more PCIe x16 slots, ATI CrossFire Ready. The ultimate multi-GPU performance gaming platform. Provides 2.7x faster performance than single graphic card solution. Functions designed with button to be easy use. Help power-users tweaking process in-chasis enviornment. Onboard SATA ports are stacked on the mainboard to avoid mechanical issue with giant graphic cards like 8800 Ultra. With Multi-phase PWM IC, which lead to better power converting, reducing noise and expand the lifespan and stability. MSI Advanced Live Update Online
    The MSI Live Update online is designed to automatically download and update the BIOS and driver when there’s a new version online. It helps reduce the risk of getting the wrong file and minimize the trouble of searching the files from MSI website.

Based on Intel's X48 chipset, the motherboard is characterised by a cooling system performance. It is equipped with two PCI-Express 16x v2.0, fully compatible CrossFire. It works with DDR2 memory up to 800Mhz on 2 slots, and also the DDR3 up to 1600Mhz on 4 slots: it is therefore equipped for the day when DDR3 will be the norm. It manages to 1600Mhz FSB, so all Intel CPU can be mounted. It has 4 ports Sata II (RAID 0, 1 and 5), 2 ports PATA (IDE), 2 ports e-Sata, 2 taken FireWire (internal), a network port Gigabit.

Asus Stricker II NSE (SLI)

The Republic of Gamers consists only the best of the best. We offer the best hardware engineering, the fastest performance, the most innovating ideas, and we welcome the best gamers to join in.

In the Republic of Gamers, mercy rules are only for the weak, and bragging rights means everything. We believe in making statements and we excel in competitions. If your character matches our trait, then join the elite club, make your presence felt, in the Republic of Gamers.

Based on the 790i SLI chipset, the best chipset for Intel platform, this card manages DDR3 until 1600Mhz, on 4 pitches. It has 3-port PCI Express v2.0, x16 3, and manages the 3-way SLI. It offers 6 ports Sata II, supporting RAID 0, 1 and 5, and 2 ports PATA (IDE), 2 Gigabit network ports, but no e-Sata.

cool Re: How to choose a motherboard for your PC for August 2008

Gr8.......>>>luv it...kudos

Re: How to choose a motherboard for your PC for August 2008

Can we have an update to this discussions... for 2009 and 2010 hardware? Is there a new thread/forum to this?

Re: How to choose a motherboard for your PC for August 2008

Hello Shamsul,

Are you looking for just a normal motherboard or you want it for gaming? If you want a gaming motherboard then you can go for: Tips for choosing the best board for games which helps you in a much better way to find the for year 2010. If you have any questions or want any suggestions then you can also ask there itself or make a new thread.