Thread: Question on LDAP usage

Question on LDAP usage

I am learning some networking stuff where I am stuck on LDAP. I had a project to make on the same. I am not able to figure what it is actually. I learned by definition that it is a kind of protocol used for mails. I need a very basic answer on this, how it works and what are the development of same in today's time. Is this used even today or just a kind of old protocol introduced and discontinued. Thanks.

Re: Question on LDAP usage

You aer right. LDAP stands for Lightweight Directory Access Protocol. This is a kind of internet protocol which is used by emails to find information in a server. The best example I can give you is of a address book. Assume that you have access to a company address book where all mails and other information is stored. LDAP helps you to find entries in the address book. Like you can simply find an email of a person who you had never sent a email. The protocol helps you to find the entries in data and use filters to find information of a person. It is a very common protocol which was used before. Other than finding information of personal profile you can also use this to get certificates, printers or other program on the network. It helps to share a number of stuff between a user. It is quiet easier to configure on your network.

It is just a light weight client server protocol. It helps you to access directory services. It works on tcp/ip and offer you better transfer series. A directory is much more similar to a database, the only difference is that it is more detailed.

It is used for business purpose. It can be your online yellow pages in simple word. You can obtain information via this protocol. There are number of methods that can be used to provide the directory service. Each method allows you to use various kind of information which is on the directory. The protocol is simply based on client server model. Here a ldap server is one which has all the data stored inside it and the client connects and retrieve the information. If you search on how to guide for ldap you can find ample of information which is easier to understand. I think you must go for an image guide which can tell how exactly the ldap works.

It is simply a protocol like tcp/ip. It offers you to connect to a server which offer directory services and retrieve information. Assume that you are connected to a very large address book.

While working on ldap I bet you will get confused between active directory and ldap. There are reason for it. At that time you must remember that ldap is a protocol which provides interface for communication while active directory is a kind of database program which offers you system based services like policy settings, user authentication, etc. Ldap is the protocol on which all this stuff works. Active directory is a very good example of ldap based directory. It works on the same. If you study more closely how active directory works you can understand the actual interface of ldap. Somehow just learning or finding clues of ldap can be complicated and make you more confuses.

If you want to test this how it works then you can use a tool called as LDAPSoft. This tool offers you an admin panel from where you can setup a new connection and play with ldap settings. I will advice you to try this out.

Here is a short information the directory structure of ldap. First it has a entry which consist of a set of attributes. Then comes the attribute which has a name along with values. Every entry work as an identifier. There are number of things that can be done with ldap. At first when you understand how it works you can then find it more simpler. You must be confused that LDAP is a database. It is a directory service which can store information and also provide access to program over the network. It is best recommended for companies internal setup.