Thread: Installing software under linux

Installing software under linux

Hello,
    I am new to linux (KUbuntu 7.10, Gutsy Gibbon) and I would like to know if there are no packages "catch-all?" indeed, every time I want to install software, I need a package first. Even if I try to install this package requires another package, the AC gets a bit tiring .. then? can you help me Please??

Re: Installing software under linux

How'll take you to install software. Put more up to date, you have 2 versions behind. It is called the Intrepid Ibex 8.10.

Look in the documentation ubuntu .

You have several ways to install programs on Linux. What you find boring, and it's dependencies is quite manage with a package manager (apt-get, adept, Synaptic Package Manager).

I wonder how you installed a program elsewhere.

how I install? I unpack then I read the readme file, and I follow the instructions

If you know the name of your program you can do sudo aptitude install-name program or go through your package manager (must be Kpackage for you), you research your program and then you asked him to install it.

How to Install Software in Ubuntu

1. Connect to the internet unless you are using offline repositories.

Graphically

1. Open your main menu, select System, click on Synaptic (or Adept Updater, depending on your distribution).
    2. Type a query into the search
    3. Select a file you think is relative to what you want
    4. Click "Install"

Command-line

1. Open up terminal (Konsole, xterm, or any other command line/bash shell interface)
    2. Type sudo su (sudo as in superuser do, su as in "switch user") to get administrative privileges to install software
    3. Type your password if prompted.
    4. When it gives you a new cursor after something that looks like this, "root@computer:/#" where "computer" is the name of your computer:
    5. Type sudo aptitude install but don't hit enter! You need to know the package name of your program. "sudo aptitude search <program>" will yield search results for your package when you supply it to the terminal. In some cases, it may automatically know which package you want, such as "sudo aptitude install firefox" Look on the package page of the Ubuntu distribution site.
    6. If you are not sure of the name of the program you are trying to install, you can use tab completion to try and find it (most major distributions have it.) Simply type the first few letters of the package you want to install and hit tab once or twice. For example, type fire and then hit tab, it will bring up all packages that begin with fire; firefox will be one of them.
    7. Wait for it to prepare to install the software package from the repository.
    8. If you are prompted whether or not to install, type "y". Next time if you would rather have it do it automatically, type sudo aptitude install package -y, package being the name of the package you are installing.
    9. Wait for it to finish installing, and close the terminal.
    10. It should be in the Main Menu under the appropriate category. If not, restart your computer.

• Try to install only packages you will use
    • Update your packages by typing
    • sudo aptitude update then sudo aptitude safe-upgrade
    • If you decide you do not want a package anymore, type
    • sudo aptitude remove package
    • (replace package with the name of the package).
    • If you are making changes to your sources list (/etc/apt/sources.list), be sure to update it with sudo aptitude update.
    • When you install a package, other pack
    ages may be installed with it as well. These are called dependencies.