Thread: Controlling styles in Word 2007

Controlling styles in Word 2007

I'm using Word 2007 on Vista Business. I can't seem to control the way styles work. I have tried to modify various styles so that the following style fits my needs, but Word 2007 has a mind of its own and defaults to something else in the middle of a document. What I'd really love to do is clear out ALL the MS junk and have my own styles. It that possible?

Thanks so much in advance

Re: Controlling styles in Word 2007

How to Change a style in Word 2007

In Microsoft Office Word 2007, Quick Styles are sets of styles that are designed to work together to create an attractive and professional looking document. In most cases, you won't change styles in a Quick Style set because the styles have been designed to complement one another, and it's easier to use a different Quick Style set. But, under certain circumstances, you might want to change the attributes of a style in a Quick Style set.

1. Select text that is styled with the style attributes that you want to change.

For example, to change the attributes of the Heading 1 style, select text that has the Heading 1 style applied.

Tip: To view the attributes of a particular style, click the Styles Dialog Box Launcher, and then rest your pointer over a style in the list.

2. Format the selected text with the new attributes that you want.

For example, you might decide that you want to change the point size for the Heading 1 style from 16 points to 14 points.

3. On the Home tab, in the Styles group, right-click the style that you want to change.

4. Click Update to Match Selection.
    Note All text with the style that you changed will automatically change to match the new style that you defined.

Tip If you changed the styles in a document and the styles are not updating the way you expected, click the Styles Dialog Box Launcher, and then click Style Inspector to find out whether text was manually formatted instead of formatted by using styles.

Source: office.microsoft.com

Quote Originally Posted by PoynterGirl View Post
    What I'd really love to do is clear out ALL the MS junk and have my own styles. It that possible?
    If you want to delete exixting styles then

1. On the Tools menu, click Templates and Add-Ins.

2. Click Organizer, and then click the Styles tab.

3. To delete items from a different template or file, click Close File to close the active document and its attached template or to close the Normal template
      Then click Open File, and open the template or file you want.

4. Click the items to delete, and then click Delete.

Yes you can have your own created new styles.To create new styles do following:

1. If the Styles and Formatting task pane is not open, click Styles and Formatting Button image on the Formatting toolbar

2. In the Styles and Formatting task pane, click New Style.

3. In the Name box, type a name for the style

4. In the Style type box, click Paragraph, Character, Table, or List to specify the kind of style you are creating.

5. Select the options that you want, or click Format to see more options.