Thread: How to free up memory on computer

How to free up memory on computer

Hi,
    I have windows XP installed on my computer. There are many softwares i use for my work. I need to free up some space on my computer. sometimes it slows down and hangs at running programs. Can anybody suggest me something about how can i free up some memory?

Thank you for any advice.

Re: How to free up memory on computer

By freeing disk space, you can improve the performance of your computer. The Disk Cleanup tool helps you free up space on your hard disk. The utility identifies files that you can safely delete, and then enables you to choose whether you want to delete some or all of the identified files. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Disk Cleanup. If several drives are available, you might be prompted to specify which drive you want to clean. In the Disk Cleanup for dialog box, scroll through the content of the Files to delete list. Choose the files that you want to delete. Clear the check boxes for files that you don't want to delete, and then click OK. When prompted to confirm that you want to delete the specified files, click Yes. The disk cleanup process will end after few minutes.

As you said there are many software installed. So if you are not using any programs, then just uninstall them and install again whenever you need. If you have downloaded any data from internet, then just delete it. Many big files such as movies, music occupies lot of space of your drive. So just take the backup for them and delete it. You can easily write it on cds or dvds.

You may need to upgrade your RAM. Running many applications at a time may require more RAM. Also remove temporary files and folders. Empty your Recycle Bin. Remove optional Windows components that you don't use. Go through the following threads on related topic:
    Free up System Memory in Windows XP
    Very low free physical memory