Thread: Very low free physical memory

Very low free physical memory

I was checking my memory through an applications where i go to system then select an application to monitor then to check memory , and i found that it said that i had close to 65 mb of free physical memory, however this problem occurs with my linux OS which is running perfectly fine with no signs of slowdown, Is this low physical memory normal?

Re: Very low free physical memory

Don't worry, that's normal. The reason the "lack of memory" seems so wierd is because if you might be using Windows earlier and now switching over to Linux, you're used to 50% available or something. Linux and Windows handle memory differently, but I'm not exactly sure how. As long as your system runs fine, you're good to go.

Re: Very low free physical memory

you need to make sure that your pagefile is set to 'system managed size'. you can do this by pressing the windows key and pause/break, selecting the advanced tab. then click the button labeled settings and select the tab labeled advanced. Linux manages memory different from that of for example XP - it's slightly changed in Vista, where alnear the botton you should see the virtual memory pagefile sizes. you then can click on the change button and set your pagefile to a system managed size. a successful change will go into effect after you restart.