Thread: VDI Primary on VirtualBox

VDI Primary on VirtualBox

I had the bad idea to make a vdi image too small for my virtual machine . And the problem is that for the moment virtualbox does not propose any solution to enlarge the size of a vdi dynamic image on the fly.My VM disk begins to be + or - full . Obviously increase the size of the latter seems to be quite galley , so I opt to add a secondary drive. Please help.

Re: VDI Primary on VirtualBox

The only solution I've found so far is to create a new blank disk image larger and clone the vdi too small inside . To do this we have used a disk cloning software , there are tens and tens , for this tutorial I have chosen Clonezilla is free in my eyes the most successful and free .
    1. Create a new disk that contains the clone of the first disk. Go to File> Manager supports virtual > New > Disk Image scale dynamic > Choose the size and location> Finish
    2. Add the new disk as slave drive time virtual machine . Select your VM > Settings> Hard Disk > Add Attachment > " Primary IDE Slave " select the disk you created above .

You need to download Clonezilla that will allow you to clone all sectors of the first disk to the second. Select the ISO clonezilla as optical disk , start your virtual machine. Select the startup clonezilla classic . Select device -device (disk / partition to disk / partition )> Beginner ( Beginner ) > Disk-to - local- disk> Select source disk > Then the target disk . Then follow the directions of assistants. Turn off your virtual machine . Select your VM > Settings > Hard Disk > Remove the attachment disc master. Designate an old hard disk as slave master. Extend Volume in Windows Vista or Windows 7 .

Your VM is still its original size, You need to extend the volume. In the disk manager choose to extend your arisen. 7a / Extend Volume under Linux or Windows XP. If you do not have a liveCD linux Download gparted. ISO of as optical disk > Start your VM in gparted > Choose language > Choose to boot into X ( choice 0 )> Select resize > Move the cursor to select all > Apply> Reboot.

Check the steps:
    * Select the VM.
    * Open the preferences window.
    * Select Part HDD.
    * Click on the button Add attachment ( has the effect of adding a line Primary IDE Slave).
    * Click on the button Select a hard disk.
    * In the window Virtual Disk Manager click New.
    * Configure the hard disk using the wizard ( personally I left everything default except I set the size to 20GB).

You can, for example, have a virtual disk containing your collection of photos that you connected as slave on different virtual machines as needed without having to copy your collection on all disks of your virtual different virtual machines. You can also connect a slave master virtual disk to another virtual machine to pass files from one virtual disk to another . It is an option not always necessary. On Windows , you should see your additional virtual disks in the workstation , if they are properly connected in the disk configuration of your virtual machine.