Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Software Development
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2010

How to add new column in table in sql server

Hello to all,
I am new to this forum. I recently started learning SQL language. I have created one table in SQL 2005 server. This table has 5 columns. I want to add new column to this table but I don't know how to do this. Can anyone tell me how to add new column in table in sql server. Please help me.
Old 02-02-2010

Re: How to add new column in table in sql server

Hey it is very easy process. In this situation you have to use Alter table command. You can do this in following example. In following program I have create one column with size 20.

Code:
ALTER TABLE dbs.UserMaster1 ADD UserType VARCHAR(20) NULL;
This code may change position of your column in table.
Old 02-02-2010

You have to use alter table query to do this. I have written Syntax of alter table query. Just try to understand it.

Alter Table:
Alter Table TableName add ColumnName datatype

In above syntax you have to use table name of yours and then add column name to it with proper size.
For Eg.

ALTER table Student ADD marks datatype constraints;
Old 02-02-2010

For adding new column in table in sql server 2oo5 you have to use The ALTER TABLE Statement. It is very easy process. Just remember syntax of it. The ALTER TABLE statement in SQL is used to add columns in an existing table.
If you don't know syntax of it then use following.

ALTER TABLE table_name
ADD column_name datatype

Where table_name is name of your table and column_name is the name of your column that you are want to add.
Old 02-02-2010

There is only one way through which you can add new column in table in sql server. You have to use Alter Table to do this. If you don't know how to do this then look at following example.
Suppose your table name is "Employee" and you want to add column with name "salary" , then you can do this in following way.

Code:
Alter Table Employee ADD salary varchar(20)

TechArena Community > Software > Software Development
Tags: , , , , ,