Thread: [DBNETLIB]Specified SQL server not found.

[DBNETLIB]Specified SQL server not found.

I have a DELL desktop computer at home with configuration: Intel i7 2.6Ghz, 2GB RAM, 512GB HDD, EVGA Geforce GTX 260 Core 21, SONY DVD RW DRU-820A, Windows Vista. I am intermediate programmer and learned programming languages like C sharp, SQL, Core JAVA, etc. I started programming on C Sharp and use SQL as backend for my project. But while working in SQL got an error message i.e [DBNETLIB]Specified SQL server not found. Please tell me how to overcome this error??

Re: [DBNETLIB]Specified SQL server not found.

According to me, you must be trying to connect a client computer running Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008 to a named instance of sql server. So, in case like this, the connection may fail/rejected. And if using Windows data access component 6.0 to connect to named instance of sql server, you will receive the following error ( i.e [DBNETLIB]Specified SQL server not found). So, try to avoid this. And always note that specify the TCP portname or named pipename in the connection string correctly.

Firstly, check that the SQL Server is pinged by name from the machine that is trying to connect to it. If done with ping, try to create a UDL file on the box and then use for establishing a connection (just create a text file and rename it with a .UDL extension and then when you double-click it, you will see a wizard from creating a connection).Add Network Library=DBMSSOCN" to your connection string. And think so you are trying to connect with another machine also. Also check that SQL installed correctly or not. Hope this solution will work for you.
    Last edited by MindSpace; 06-01-2010 at 09:42 AM.

I would also tell you to try the method of ping, but if it cannot be ping by name, try to ping it by IP address. If this works, then change your connection string to use TCP/IP instead of named pipes using the Network Library attribute. Through this IP address can used in place of the server name in the connection string. And if this method also does not works, then have to call up network engineer, how will be able to solve/fix the problem correctly.

According to me, DBNMPNTW is a named pipes Network Library in SQL. I would recommend to use TCP/IP and code is:
    cst = "Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;UID=xpct;Password=xpct;Initial Catalog=xpct;Data Source=[server ip]\SQLMIS,1044;Network Library=dbmssocn;".
    I think this really in your case and will solve the problem. And also try the ping method also and if problem does not get fix then surely it would be network problem.

I would suggest you to check that the named instance of SQL server has really been started or not. And then note that if you have to use the SQL Server switch facility which gives you ability to switch in the named instance from the default SQL Server 7 instance. If in case connection does not happen, then you need to connect to a named instance of SQL Server by using MDAC 2.6 anyway. This error may also come because of faculty firewalls settings or due to incomplete installation of SQL sofware.