Thread: Sealed Classes in C#

Sealed Classes in C#

Hi, Can anyone explain me about the Sealed Classes in C#? I don't know what is C# basically. But, I have to create a Case study on Sealed Classes in C#. I have enough information to do it, But it is not giving me any type of information which will tell me what exactly sealed class is. So, just give me clear and simple assistance of it.

Re: Sealed Classes in C#

Hi, Sealed keyword is used to prevent derivation from a class. That means you will get an error if you specify sealed class as the base class of another class. It wont be declared as abstract also. Basically, a sealed class is known to never have any derived classes.

That is why you won't be able to derive anything from structs as they are sealed. Take a Example code as below:

Code:
    using System;
    sealed class Testing
    {
       public int a; 
       public int b;
    }

class Maintest 
    {
       public static void Main() 
       {
          Testing tt = new Testing(); 
          tt.a = 110;
          tt.b = 150;
          Console.WriteLine("a = {0}, b = {1}", tt.a, tt.b); 
       }
    }
    In the preceding example, if you attempt to inherit from the sealed class by using a statement like this:

Code:
    class DerivedTesting: Testing {} // Error will be thrown
    You will get the error message such as :
    'DerivedTesting' cannot inherit from sealed class 'Testing'.

Hello, Actually in C# a method can't be declared as sealed method. When you override a method in a derived class, at that time you can declare the overrided method as sealed. If you declared any method as sealed that means you are avoiding further overriding of that particular method.
    Code:
    using System;
    class sealing 
    {
       public int a; 
       public int b;

public virtual void One()
       {
    	Console.WriteLine("Virtual method");
       }
    }

class sealing : sealing1
    {
       public override sealed void One()
       {
    	Console.WriteLine("Sealed method");
       }	
    }

class OneMain
    {
       public static void Main() 
       {
          sealing1 ss = new sealing(); 
          ss.a= 50;
          ss.b = 60;
          Console.WriteLine("a = {0}, b= {1}", ss.a, ss.b); 
          ss.One();
       }
    }

Hi, You want to know about Sealed Classes. It is very simple. A class which wont allow you to inherit the base class for security reason is know as sealed class. That's it. So, now you can say that, sealed class is the last class in hierarchy. It is possible that the class which is declared as sealed is a derived from the base class, but it is never a base class. Now, if you want to access the members of sealed class then you need to create the instance of the object. I think that it is developed for the security as no one can able to make the copy of software by overriding the class and getting the logic to be used.

Hi, you want to create a case study about the sealed class and you told that you are having enough material to do that. So, you basically need the idea about the sealed class. So, Sealed classes are the classes which will not be inherited by any class or it can't be overridened. So, in simple words, sealed classes are those classes which can't be used for making inheritance.

Hi, A class which restricts inheritance for security region is called Sealed class. That means you can't create any class from inheriting the class which is declared as sealed. You are going to create a case study on sealed classes, How can you able to make, as sealed class is not that much big topic to make casestudy on it. How many pages are required in casestudy?