Thread: Installing Ubuntu and Windows 7 on seperate drives

Installing Ubuntu and Windows 7 on seperate drives

I am having trouble with Installing Ubuntu and Windows 7 on seperate drives. I have installed Windows 7 on a hard disk and then changed disk priority and then installed Ubuntu 9.10 beta. After this i again changed the boot priority. But when i boot my ocmputer, it directly boots into Windows 7. How to give a choice for Ubuntu and Windows 7 first and then choose whichever OS i want to boot in? Please help...

Re: Installing Ubuntu and Windows 7 on seperate drives

As you have installed Ubuntu and Windows 7 on separate disks, you will have to select which disk to boot from. As the OS resides on different disks, not boot entry for any OS has been altered by any OS. You can set the priority from boot device which should be the default drive [considering the OS you want to boot], or you can select the boot device by pressing any key [in my case it is F8], which gives you the option to select the boot device. Hope this helps...

I would recommend you to keep windows 7 as the first hard disk from boot priority now install ubuntu again on the other disk as suggested but without changing the hard disk priority. Now when you install Ubuntu, don't change any settings and by default it will install grub in the first boot device's MBR. Now when you boot your computer, you will get a choice on which OS to boot from. Done!!

I would suggest you to leave the current setup as it is, just change the disk boot priority and make the ubuntu as the first disk. Now boot into ubuntu and run the following command :
    Code:
    sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
    Add these lines :
    Code:
    title Windows 7
    root (hd1,0)
    makeactive
    chainloader +1
    Now save the file and close. Reboot and see if you have Windows 7 option in boot menu.

hdx1,y1 = [hard disk number(x1)], [Partition number(y1)]; hd0,0= First Disk, First Partition; hd1,0= Second Disk, First Partition

I am considering there are two hard disk and on the first one, you have installed Ubuntu and Windows 7 on the second hard disk after changing the disk priority. Ubuntu is the first disk here and Windows 7 is the second disk so for ubuntu the disk is hd0,0 and for Windows 7 it is hd1,0. This above will let to add a boot entry in Ubuntu's boot loader [grub] without making any changes to any disk's MBR. This means even if there occurs any problem in any of one disk, the other OS will remain intact.