Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Mac says Operation cannot be completed the file is in use

Operating Systems

Old 26-09-2009

Mac says Operation cannot be completed the file is in use

I have a mac and i have moved several files in the trash. When i try to empty trash my Mac says Operation cannot be completed the file is in use Can anyone tell me what me be the problem? I don't know how to empty my trash. Please help guy.

Old 26-09-2009

Re: Mac says Operation cannot be completed the file is in use

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacIntel View Post
I have a mac and i have moved several files in the trash. When i try to empty trash my Mac says Operation cannot be completed the file is in use Can anyone tell me what me be the problem? I don't know how to empty my trash. Please help guy.
Quit all the application that might possible be using this file. If you are not sure, quit all the running application and reboot and after reboot do not open any application and first empty the trah. See what happens... There might be some application running which is using the files in trash else that will not happen.
Old 26-09-2009

Thanks for trying to help, but that won't help me. I tried it. I also try to boot Mac with diagnostic mode, but that won't help me. Is there any software which would tell me which file is being used and by which software? Please help me, i need to free some space.
Old 26-09-2009

There is a command line interface based utility present by default within mac. Start your Mac and open terminal. Now type this command :
Code:
lsof
Or you can use a GUI tool like "What's Keeping Me". Download here.

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , ,