Thread: How to install ubuntu on vmware?

How to install ubuntu on vmware?

Hey!
    I want to install ubuntu on Virtual machine. I have Virtual Box installed in windows XP. How do i install Ubuntu 8.10 on Virtual Box. Help Guys!

Re: How to install ubuntu on vmware?

VirtualBox allows you to run an entire operating system inside another operating system. Please be aware that you should have a minimum of 512 MB of RAM. 1 GB of RAM or more is recommended. Once you meet the minimum criteria as mentioned above, install ubuntu as normal...!

Hey!
    Mount the ubuntu CD or CD image on the virtualbox and then start virtualbox. Set virtualbox's bios to boot from cd-rom. Now install the ubuntu as you do on a normal machine...! All the best...! Hope this helps!

Hey!
    Ubuntu comes as a LiveCD. So you could just put it in and try a few commands on it or check if your hardware is compatible etc. If you like it, install it on a PHYSICAL machine and use it that way.The thing is that there are some advantages for me. I am planning to create a base Ubuntu OS with all the tools for development on it so that when I start a new project I just need to copy this VM rather then having to format my computer (do not know if you get my point)

Dr. V Guest

Hey!
    The virtualbox page states that it is incompatible with Ubuntu as guest, and I can say that I tried so and it seriously did not work (not even the live-cd) vmware was way faster in windows XP host and a Xubuntu guest worked very well, until I messed up something when trying to install vmware tools on xubuntu...

my note book doesn't have DVD/CD drive.
    so i made workgroup and share DVD drive on another PC to us UBUNTU DVD.

but i cant install UBUNTU on my note book. beacuse vmware didnt see DVD drive.

what can i do?

gillispy456 Guest

you can run its setup file and install Virtualbox in your computer.You should click on “Continue Anyway” if you want to finish installation.you are ready to use Virtualbox and install Ubuntu on your Windows operating system. Run the Virtaulbox application by double clicking on its icon on the desktop. You need to Click on the blue-colored “New” button at the top left hand side of the Virtualbox windows. After clicking the New button, a new window will open up which will guide you to create a new virtual machine.
    Last edited by gillispy456; 05-05-2010 at 12:43 PM.