Go Back   TechArena Community > Technology > Networking & Security
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Rundll32.exe using 99% of my CPU - is it a virus?

Networking & Security

Old 10-04-2010

Rundll32.exe using 99% of my CPU - is it a virus?

I have seen in task manager that there is one process called as rundll32.exe which is using much of my CPU because of which my computer is performing slow. I have tried to remove this process for several times but it is just not happening. Is it any kind of virus on my windows vista computer system which is making it working extremely slow?

Old 10-04-2010

Re: Rundll32.exe using 99% of my CPU - is it a virus?

Actually rundll32.exe is process which helps in running the DLL files and it places their libraries in to the memory so that they can be used by the any applications more efficiently. I do not think that this process lowers your computer performance as it helps your computer to run more stably and securely. You should never try to kill this process as it is a system process removing which results in abnormal performance your computer system.
Old 10-04-2010

I would like to tell you that rundll32.exe is an essential process to make your windows computer work properly as it is part of windows operating system. If you remove this process then it might happen that your windows does not work properly. It is not a virus at all but it might happen that it has been infected by some kind of viruses which can be known by scanning your computer system by using any security software.
Old 10-04-2010

I have an idea to deal with this process if it is using almost all the part of your CPU. Go to the task manager and search for the Rundll32.exe. I guess you would be knowing it as it would be with the highest cpu usage. Then make sure that you remember the perfect name of it. Now select that particular process and click on the End Process button which will remove this process from your computer. Then press New Task button and create it again then check as is it taking the same cpu usage.
Old 10-04-2010

Actually there are two kind of processes named as Rundll32.exe, One is process which needs to be running for working of your windows operating system and the another one is just faulty process which just makes your task manager tricky which shows that it has taken all of your CPU but that is not true. Removing this process will again create it. Though there is one more process for infecting windows operating system named as RundII32.exe, Note that there is "dII" instead of "dll" which can be looks as same at first look.

TechArena Community > Technology > Networking & Security
Tags: , , , , , , ,