Thread: I've killed my motherboard ?

I've killed my motherboard ?

Hello,

I admit being part of the apprentice sorcerer and I just may be making a beginner's mistake. A few days ago one of my strip dropped RAM. After they finally understood what was happening (Windows is zero indicate the real problems), I decided to make a quick upgrade. I change my old strips of PC2100 against PC3200. I reinstalled Windows XP and I realized that I had forgotten to put the drivers in my motherboard. So I put the CD came with the motherboard and route for installation. ..

I wish to state that my card is supposed to have a bus speed of 800MHz max therefore a 400 I still ok!

Going into the BIOS my system would not detect the actual speed of RAM (266 to replace 400 MHz) So I manually change the speed of RAM and the "timing" I rule "user defined" instead of automatic. A stroke of F10 to save and restart ... but it does more restarts. I have electricity (the disc so the fan running ..) but more small beep and nothing on the screen.

Are there a miracle solution or am I right to replace the motherboard?

Thank you

Re: I've killed my motherboard ?

Are there a miracle solution or am I right to replace the motherboard?
    Hi,

Today, a small subject in which I will give info to reset the BIOS.

Reset the BIOS Clear CMOS = = = CMOS CTS Clear ... Several terms refer this operation.

But first, a definition - briefly - BIOS:
    The BIOS (Basic Input / Output System - System Input / Output Basic) is a program stored in a memory of the motherboard (memory called CMOS) and determines that a PC can do without accessing a program that would be located on a disc.
    Thus, the BIOS can control keyboard, display, disk drives, communications (serial port, for example), and has many other functions.

Where the PC unbootable (due to mishandling, for example) and you no longer have access to the BIOS, the "Clear CMOS" may be the solution. This is to reset the BIOS and to reassign its original values (Factory Settings).

The rider to reset this is in most cases, next to the battery of the motherboard. However, a small check on the instructions of your motherboard to ensure it will not be redundant.

Here's how:

1. Turn off the PC,

2. Unplug the power cord,

3. Remove the side panel of the PC, to gain access to components,

4. Reaching the case of the PC to bring the electrical potential of the body with that of the computer,

5. On the motherboard, find the battery plate, and just next door, which allows the rider to reset the BIOS .

6. The rider will be moved from its original position (positions 1-2) in position 2-3:

7. When the rider has been moved, wait a few moments, then return it to its original position (positions 1-2). Up the PC, reconnect and restart.

This manipulation applies in most cases, however, there is sometimes some subtleties. Do not hesitate, in this case, refer to the manual for your motherboard, which will give the exact procedure.

Re: I've killed my motherboard ?

I wish to state that my card is supposed to have a bus speed of 800MHz max therefore a 400 I still ok!
    A method for adjusting a bus frequency and bus link width of a host bus, the method comprising:installing a bus monitor driver to a Northbridge chipset;monitoring traffic conditions of the host bus; andadjusting the bus frequency and the bus link width of the host bus according to the monitored traffic condition.

2. The method of claim 1, wherein the bus frequency and the bus link width of the host bus are adjusted in accordance with adjusting signal being asserted.

3. The method of claim 2, wherein the adjusting signal is a VID/FID cycle signal.

4. The method of claim 1, further comprising:triggering a system management interrupt signal; andupdating values for the bus frequency and bus link width of the host bus.

5. The method of claim 4, further comprising:stopping the clock of the processor;disconnecting and then reconnecting the host bus; andoperating the host bus at the updated bus frequency and bus link width.

6. The method of claim 1, wherein the host bus is a HyperTransport bus.

7. In a computing system having a Northbridge chipset for adjusting a bus frequency and bus link width of a host bus, wherein the host bus is connected between a processor and the Northbridge chipset, a method comprising:triggering a system management interrupt signal when an adjusting signal is issued; andupdating the values regarding a bus frequency and bus link width of the host bus.

8. The method of claim 7, wherein the values of the bus frequency and bus link width are stored in registers.

9. The method of claim 7, wherein the adjusting signal is a VID/FID cycle signal.

10. The method of claim 7, wherein the processor enters into a system management mode while the system management interrupt signal is triggered.

11. The method of claim 10, wherein the processor exits from the system management mode while an RSM signal is issued.

12. The method of claim 7, further comprising:stopping the clock of the processor;disconnecting and then reconnecting the host bus; andoperating the host bus at the updated bus frequency and the link width.

13. The method of claim 7, wherein the host bus is a HyperTransport bus.

14. A computer system comprising:a processor;a Northbridge chipset; anda host bus connecting the processor to the Northbridge chipset, wherein the Northbridge chipset monitors traffic conditions on the host bus and adjusts at least one of a bus frequency and bus link with of the host bus according to monitored traffic conditions on the host bus.

15. The computer system of claim 14, wherein a bus monitor driver is installed to the Northbridge chipset to monitor the traffic conditions on the host bus.

16. The computer system of claim 14, wherein the Northbridge chipset adjusts the bus frequency and bus link with of the host bus while an adjusting signal is issued.

17. The computer system of claim 16, wherein the adjusting signal is the VID/FID cycle signal.

18. The computer system of claim 14, wherein the Northbridge chipset triggers a system management interrupt signal to update the values of the bus frequency and bus link width of the host bus.

19. The computer system of claim 18, wherein the processor enters into a system management mode while the system management interrupt signal is triggered; and the processor exits form the system management mode after the values of the bus frequency and bus link width of the host bus are updated.

20. The computer system of claim 18, wherein values of the bus frequency and bus link width of the host bus are stored in registers.

21. The computer system of claim 18, wherein the Northbridge chipset stops the clock of the processor and disconnects and then reconnects the host bus after the values of the bus frequency and the link width are updated.

22. The computer system of claim 14, wherein the host bus is a HyperTransport bus.

23. A computer readable medium containing instructions, which if executed by a computing system, operate the system to perform operations comprising:waking up a basic input output operation system (BIOS) in the computing system;storing values in one or more registers related to one or more operating parameters for a host bus; andoperating the host bus based on the stored values in the one or more registers.

for more information see here : http://forums.techarena.in/newreply....eply&t=1075410