Thread: Can i save my data on unallocated disk

Can i save my data on unallocated disk

Hi all,

Actually my problem is similar with this thread:
    XP won't see entire 320 GB drive

I have 320 GB HDD and 3 partitions before reinstallion WindowsXP. However i used installation CD without SP1 by mistaken. Now my second and third disks (D and E) are seen as unallocated disks with the size of 170 Gb. Is it possible to save data in this unallocated disks?

Thanks for your help.

Even I just solved same issue, you have to move the information off those 2 hard drives labeled D and E. For that you can use a program called Acronis True Image Home and save the image onto partition C. After that you have to delete D and E drive and then recreate the exact same size from the unallocated disks and then restore the images. But you need to go up to at least Service Pack 2, before doing anything.

Re: Can i save my data on unallocated disk

Thanks for your quick replay.

I will use Acronis_True_Image_Home_Ver.11.8027 to save the image. Then how did you delete partitions and recreate them? Which programs did you use? I just don't want to make an other mistake. That is why i am asking this detailed questions and i want to follow the same way :)

I installed Acronis True Image Home. However, it is not possible to back up partitions since partitions are seen as unallocated on disk management menu. That is why i can not access this partitions via this program :(

I have used Windows XP Computer Management program that was in the Administrative Tools location to delete and then recreate the partitions. Anyways, if you want to install Service Pack 2 and not Service Pack 3, because Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 will not install, if Service Pack 3 is installed and I tried several ways. You can install Windows XP Service Pack 2 reboot and then reinstall if necessary Acronis True Image 11 Home.

I installed SP2. However, Hard Disk Drives labeled D and E can not be seen. The only hard disk drive that is seen in My Computer is C with the size of 127 Gb. So, i can not back up other Hard Disk Drives.
    By the way, i had three partitions as C (120 Gb), D (100 Gb) and E(100 Gb) before installation. Now i have just C with the size of 127 Gb. I guess it is not possible to recreate partitions with the exact size as if i could back up.

I guess i will loose all my data :(

You can try to download BootIt NG 1.86 version. After that use a Floppy Disk to create the BootIT NG Installation Disk and boot up the computer with it bu do Not install. Now click Cancel and then click Work with Partitions. See if you see the missing partitions and see if you can make a backup / partition image of them and store the images on C:. Your C: partition is too large and maintenance will take long to run. ARe the disks unfound, or are they just turned off in the CMOS settings, or had their drive letters removed? Worth checking.

thecreator and Twayne,

Fist of all, thanks for your time.

thecreator ,
    Unfortunately, I don't have floppy disk :( I will try to find a way to use CD/DVD drive with BootIt NG 1.86. I am not sure it is possible.

Twayne,
    After reinstallation, I just saw C disk drive in My Computers window. After installation of SP2, there is still C disk drive in My Computer window. However, i can see unallocated partition with the size of 170.1 Gb in Disk Management. I hope these are answers that you want to know.

thecreator,

I create the bootable CD with the program BootIt NG 1.86 and i did what you said. Unfortunately, only C disk drive (127 Gb) and free space (170 Gb) can be seen for Work with Partitions. I guess this means that bye bye to all my data :(

Last action:
    I will try to connect my HDD to an other computer that linux and i will try to access to my data.

You should not use this Hard Drive to create the SlipStream CD. Try to download Acronis's Disk Director Suite 10 Trial Version, not to make any
    changes here, but to view what it reports in Manual Mode.

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing.../diskdirector/

After that you will have to reformat and reinstall Windows XP from the SlipStream XP CD. What version of Windows XP have you installed? Windows XP Professional x64 Edition? Windows XP Home Edition? Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 1.

thecreator,

I did what you said exactly. I reformated and reinstalled Windows XP from the
    SlipStream XP CD. I don't know how but now I have just one disk drive (C that is 320 GB).

Then i use Active @ Partition Recovery program and i saw my data that was on the deleted partitions :) When i wanted to recover this data it gave me a warning since i did not have any free disk space. Now i have to create partitions exactly as they were before as i understood. I start to back up whole HDD via Acronis_True_Image_Home_Ver.11.8027 . So if i have a problem i can restore and prevent this space from overwriting.

I have a hope now :)
    Thanks for your help...

Can you tell us how large the Drive C: was before the mess began? You can first Create a partition using SlipStream XP CD, then format and install the operating system. This way, all that remains are D: and E:. And you can also Use Acronis Disk Director Suite's Bootable Rescue CD, because it boots up from the CD and not Windows and uses Linux. You can make from the Rescue CD. However, you need to purchase Acronis Disk Director Suite 10, because the trial version does not create large partitions. It also can undelete partitions wherever possible. Meaning, if the data has not been overwritten.

I create SlipStream XP CD with SP2. Then, I recover all my data via Active @ Partition Recovery.
    Thanks for your help.

The easiest (22 minutes for my 250 GB disk for running a test) and cheapest (0.00 $, 0.00 £, 0.00 c) way to solve this problem is to use TestDisk ;-)