Thread: Unable to download Update and cant uninstall Silverlight

Unable to download Update and cant uninstall Silverlight

Using windows Vista Home Premium, most recent update installs and won't download. I wish to out of Silverlight, but can't even uninstall it utilizing Control Panel uninstall. I really not understood how to solve this unknown problem, because this is really annoying. I try to search this online but can’t find the proper solution for this. So, if anyone here has any idea or any suggestion to solve this issue than please provide me.

Re: Unable to download Update and cant uninstall Silverlight

I have a same trouble. I installed version 1.0.30109.0 some time before. Now, I continue getting prompted to setup the upgrade. Though, while the upgrade downloads well, it is unsuccessful to install. The "help" which I have established by searching advises that I physically uninstall the older version. While I depart into add/Remove Programs applet, it unable to uninstall the application. It seems that, "silverlight.msi" was located in a directory in c:\temp\... which has since been erased as part of the disk cleaning that I regularly achieve on my disks. Now there emerges to be no way to eliminate the program. I have attempted limited registry edits and physically erasing files, but I do not appear to be able to locate the mixture that will permit me to install the fresher version or reinstall the older one.

However, I acquired and installed quite a lot of applications since 'Silverlight' first installed previous year. I am hopeful for another solution so I do not have to reinstall all that additional matter. However, I will return to my update history and notice if I can discover while it first installed so I know how much things would necessitate to be reinstalled later than the rollback. I solved my trouble. I found, downloaded, and setup Windows Installer Cleanup Utility. I ran it and chosen "Microsoft Silverlight" from the list of installed programs. I push the 'remove' key and it detached Silverlight.

I attempted the Clean up efficacy and it was erasing off the registry but I at a standstill had troubles logging into sites which had Silverlight, especially Microsoft site. I couldn't even obtain the main page to load up! Lastly got a hold of v.2 beta to load up on my system another time. It loaded up but it doesn't roll up on my system anyplace. Neither in the registry nor the Add/Remove panel. I can perceive the folder below Program Files but it doesn't look to be loaded up; even though I at a standstill can't get into any of the sites. Reinstalled again and at a standstill not anything. Ran Cleanup and it isn't on the catalog. So lost and puzzled!

Today, I went through uninstall of Silverlight and VB on a windows Vista computer. There are 2 things which I ran into that possibly of a few assist to you. Uninstalling VB - I had to uninstall MSDN. I couldn’t dispose of VB until I performed that, the Setup program kept deafening. While installing a few things, the installs would freeze. I think this as well happened with a few uninstalls. In spite of, the process MDM.exe was the trouble. Attempt to kill this procedure and notice if it helps. Later than uninstalling all the bad, I reinstalled VB 2008, after that went to the novel Silverlight 2 webpage and installed. All went quite smoothly. I have previously shaped a test Silverlight C# project, added a few code and tested it. All seems fine.

The similar thing has occurred to me. I attempted the Clean up Utility. It removed SL 3 from its list, but obtains an error throughout the procedure. Now I guess I might be appearing at messing with the registry, which I fear. Did you still discover a fine solution to this problem? What is actually creepy to me is that this looks to be a rather ordinary trouble. We previously have one SL 1.1 application in production and have had many users report same situations. We are now functioning on a re-write of our flagship LOB application in SL 3, and I am in front of the condition myself. I was hopeful this was something that had been worked out in the previous versions.

Well I had quite another fun Vista adventure. No, not with the Windows Update not working for about a year (resolved), but this time with Silverlight getting all jacked up. The problem once again stemmed from bad or corrupt registry key related issues. I searched the web for a little bit & came across lots of stupidly obvious suggestions from lots of places & people (even on Microsoft sites where supposed tech experts were telling people with issues "Try going to the control panel folder & use programs & features to uninstall through there then reinstall. Really? Good God...) I tried uninstalling that way first or IIRC Silverlight didn't even show up in there. Tried Revo Uninstaller which found a bunch of Silverlight related files around the drive & deleted them. However I still couldn't install a new Silverlight. It would get hung up @ 99% then stop. Before I started making progress with the registry key modifications it would get hung up before the install & say something like "The source you're trying to install from cannot be found, insert disc or choose location" or something. The Microsoft Fix Its did not work but their failure to work pointed me in the right direction.

One of the 2 or 3 Fix Its I tried displayed an error code about a particular registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{DFEAF54 1-F3E1-4c24-ACAC-99C30715084A}. It would say "Could not open, etc., etc., etc., Access Denied." The permissions were all whacked out & I couldn't delete the key manually by right clicking on it then going to delete. For those of you who don't know, click on the start button in the bottom right hand corner, go up to RUN, type in regedit, then hit enter. It will launch the registry editor. As always be careful with registry modification & do make a backup before trying stuff like this. Otherwise u may end up with a non-usable/ seriously corrupted drive or something.

So I navigated to the key & had to do some tedious work to reassign the permissions & ownership of the key. & should you read this & have the EXACT same issue you will have to go through each of the 8 subkeys & reassign the permissions & owner if they aren't what they're supposed to be. & one of them ("MiscStatus") has yet another subkey called "1.". Go through each one starting at the bottom at the lowest level, right click on the name of the subkey, go to permissions, look up at the top under Group & User Names, & click Remove till there are none left. Then click ADD then type in whatever your user name is that you're logged in with. It took me a while to figure out what my user name is. I don't log in, my computer just starts up. So for me all I typed in was "Yaz," my user name I chose long ago when I 1st got my laptop. Your user name by itself is all you type in. No other characters. I am the administrator so there were no issues. Then underneath I clicked on the 1st box on the left & assigned myself full control over the subkey. Then click Advanced & make sure neither of the 2 inheritable boxes are checked. Click on the Owner tab at the top & make sure an owner is assigned & that it's your login name.

After doing this for all 9 of the subkeys I was able to just right click on {DFEAF541-F3E1-4c24-ACAC-99C30715084A} & go to delete & IT WORKED! Then I finally launched Silverlight installer & it worked with no further problems. Hopefully this helps some people out. There are a lot of dumb, obvious suggestions out there (just like with the Vista Windows Update not working) & it's nice to be able to figure out how to resolve it this time in an hour or two as opposed to about a year last time there was a registry related issue that nothing would fix other than manually deleting the associated bad keys myself that were left behind by all the uninstallers, Fix Its, & other programs & solutions that did nothing but waste more time.

Sincerely,

Mr. Yazen J. Qafisheh