Thread: how to install libreoffice in linux ubuntu

how to install libreoffice in linux ubuntu

I am thinking of installing libreoffice in my Linux ubuntu. I think it would be a good replacement for the Microsoft office. I thought instead of installing Microsoft office in the Linux and then using microsoft office. I thought it would be best to have a libreoffice installed in my linux. I am having no idea of how to install the particular software. I have searched the internet and I found out that it is still in the beta version. Well if you all have any idea regarding its installation then do let me know.

Re: how to install libreoffice in linux ubuntu

Well I think the installation of the particular software is very easy because it is a free software and it is easily available. Now the first stage is that you have to decide whether you have to work it out with the other office programs like open office in your system. If you don’t want to work with tit then you have to remove it by typing the following command
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove --purge openoffice*.*
    After that once you are downloaded with the particular file then do start extracting all the files in the system. After you are done with the extraction check for the deb folders and the files, installing these types of files is very easy and fast. So you have to open the terminal and type the following command
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i ~/Desktop/en-US/DEBS/*.deb
    after you have done that install the desktop integration deb package. For that type the following command in the terminal
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i ~/Desktop/en-US/DEBS/desktop-integration/libreoffice3.3-debian-menus_3.3-9526_all.deb
    I hope you are clear with the necessary steps.

Hey thanks for the suggestions I think so you have given a step by step detail for the installation. I faced a small problem during the extraction of the file. I got some error which I am going to specify here.
    gzip: stdin: unexpected end of file
    tar: Unexpected EOF in archive
    tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
    Due to which I could not proceed further and I was unable to go ahead with the installation process. Do you have any idea why I am not able to extract the file properly.

Well there can be many possibilities. One of those can be a improper download. Check whether you have downloaded the entire file of the download package. The entire file size of the particular software can be around 100MB – 150MB. So I think there must be some problem with the installation of the package. Also check that the particular format in which you have compressed the downloaded file is also working well. So do check with these necessary conditions and you will be able to carry the installation process quite smoothly.

Hey I have downloaded the entire file completely and I was able to extract the files completely. I was able to install the libreoffice completely in the system. Thanks a lot for the step by step solution that you have given me to solve my issue. I think the problem of extraction might be due to the improper downloading of the files. So I deleted the folder and again started with the downloading of the software and then I tried extracting. This time I was successful.