Thread: Reusing expired software

Reusing expired software

I was having XP installed on my desktop but due to virus problem I installed a fresh copy of another service pack. I have installed one of the software on the new operating system which was having trial version. It was possible in the previous version that I can application data files relevant to that software and reuse it. When working with new version of operating system can I use the same software. Do i need to edit the registry files or is there any other way.

Re: Reusing expired software

You can reuse the trial version of software in the new operating system. If the trail version of software comes to an end then means it is now near to expire then uninstall it and restart your system again. Go to start button on the taskbar and click on explore. Go to Local Disk (C) / Documents and Settings. In this folder select your profile. Open your application data folder in the profile. If the folder is not visible then click on tools menu and then select show hidden files and folders. In the application folder click on the application which you want to reuse again. Select it and press the delete button to delete the application and also uninstall it from the control panel. The application will be deleted and install the application again if you want to reuse it.

You can reinstall the expired software through the process by taking the backup of registry files. The steps for taking backup of registry files are as follows:

• Go to start and select run window.
    • In the run window type “regedit” and then file/ export/ save before installation of trial version of software. After the expiry of that software import the previously export the registry files.
    • To export registry files go to start and select run window.
    • In the run window type “regedit” /file/ import and install the expired software.

Also you can use “Regmon” software which monitor registry activities and delete expired registry entries.

You can use Time Stopper to stop the application or software which is going to be expired. Time Stopper enables to stop the time for individual software. As time for the software is stopped then the software will not expire. This is the best way to use trail software without a fear of being expired. To use Time stopper you need to follow these steps.
    1. Download the Time Stopper and install it on your system.
    2. Open Time Stopper.
    3. Specify the path of .exe file of the trial software.
    4. Choose new date i.e. before the expiration date of the software. You can choose any time.
    5. Select open software on your selected date

To reuse the software which are expired “Process Monitor” is used. Process Monitor is free software which keeps track of activity such as registry activity, thread activity etc. with the help of this application you can keep a watch on the application which is accessing the registry, key and data they are writing and reading. Install Process Monitor and open any software which has been expired monitor its activity and delete all registry entries used by that application. Now reinstall that expired application, start the installed application. It will be started.

While the software you are using is going to be expired. You can renew the trial version of application software to full version by providing the Patch or Product ID to that application. After you provide patch the software will not be expired. You can obtain the Patch or the Product ID of the application by visiting official’s websites of companies such as Microsoft etc. You need to register yourself on these websites. Also when downloading software from the websites always download full version of the software. The software will not be expired.