Thread: Restore backup from windows 7 to SSD using Bootcamp

Restore backup from windows 7 to SSD using Bootcamp

I am transferring my Mac Book Pro 17 to a new OCZ SSD. Using Time machine I have back up all the files and they are loyally maintained. For Windows 7 64bit backup I am depended on Winclone, which is working nice on a traditional hard drive. But when I try to restore Winclone image to SSD it does not work and this is crashed it twice. I think this might be due to difference between the data written by Winclone. Does anyone have any idea to successfully clone bootcamp windows 7 partition to an SSD on a macbook pro? I know that there are a lot of other backup products for both windows and OS X but the question is that does anyone has restored to an SSD after ssd was partitioned with Boot camp under OS X.

Re: Restore backup from windows 7 to SSD using Bootcamp

I see two options for you.
    First one is to use commercial Casper 6 taking advantage of enhanced backup capabilities. Such as creation of a complete bootable backup replacement for a corrupted hard disk, stress free, rapid recovery, integrated scheduling with advanced power management. It is design to provide a powerful, convenient and easy to use tool for upgrading to larger hard disk. Benefits of Casper 6.0 for all windows users are Enhance support for all versions of windows 7 including the new functionality available only to windows 7. USB boot compatibility it creates a fully bootable copy of windows system drive.Enhance the performance of Solid state drive and long data sector drives.
    Second option is to use windows 7’s backup and system Image.

Thank you for your suggestion. I was not aware of Casper and I will buy it specially as mentioned in it products description it is compatible with SSDs and I am a mac user so I am not beware of the lot of products available in windows world. I have used windows 7’s backup and system Image and steered away as it separates the system from application parts of backup. Which seems to be unnecessary and it give some pause in its reliability to create an exact copy.

I am using copycat to transfer my data from original hard drive to an SSD and I do not have any issue with this. CopycatX offers the four main functions for duplicating devices, volumes and folders. functions offer by copycatx
    1) Duplicate a volume or device:
    This will create exact clone of an entire device and user can select one or more for clone to allow them making multiple copies at same time.
    2) Recover faculty media
    Recover faulty media mode uses a proprietary algorithm to work around media in order to create a disk image even if entire device media may be corrupted or demage. The algorithm works around to recovery as much data as possible. The process is also recoverable.User can then resume the process once the drive has been reset.
    3)Backup or restore volume
    Backup or restore volume create image file of the selected volume. It skips free-space in order to save time and create a smaller archive. This mode make a proprietary CopyCatX image file known as .volarchive.