Thread: Snow Leopard on PowerPc Mac

Snow Leopard on PowerPc Mac

I am having one issue with the PowerPC in which i am running the Leopard and wanted to install the Snow Leopard in the same but not having enough knowledge regarding installation of the Snow Leopard on the PowerPC. I have tried to find out the method but did not got any thing to work with the same. If you are having any suggestion regarding the same then please let me know about the same. Thanks in advance.

Re: Snow Leopard on PowerPc Mac

If you ask me regarding this query then i will only say there is no possibility of running the Snow Leopard on the PowerPC. I have gone through the detail about this on the forum where it is specified the Apple stopped the Snow Leopard support for the PowerPC which means that there is no possibility for the support of the same. So if you are planning to make the same the i will advise you to drop the plan of the same. Also let me know if you got any working solution for same or not.

Personally I would avoid the migration wizard (by instinct). I will list all the programs I use REALLY. I'll watch if they work through the site of their publisher, and would make a possible updating, If this is not possible, I'll watch if there is no equivalent software which will run. File transfer does not seem problematic (eg firewire target mode, press [T] to start the iBook). For cons, I'd be super cautious and try to mail either do without (ideal) or import them after creating it (or them) account (s). if you can provide us a list of software and version you use can be, I think, you respond quickly enough. A silly example: AppleWorks (6.2.9) runs on Apple's Snow Leopard, but behaves strangely from time (unstable). The solution here is fairly simple way to iWork '09 for the texts (Pages) and tables (numbers), it also provides a modern working environment and more!

Snow Leopard will work there on PPC Macs? We hoped to have an initial response at the conference "Mac OS X State of the Union", that does not happen. But everything suggests that this version will not run on Mac PPC or, at best (?) Cases, with many technologies that will not work.

Optimization and performance seem to be the watchwords of the successor to Leopard. And one can not imagine Apple do the work for both Mac PPC and Mac Intel. The tracks mentioned by Apple's concern is rarely the PowerPC. There were very few Macs with multi-core processors. And only the G5 in this family is a 64 bit processor. OpenCL was also little interest in graphics cards that are in arrears for three to four generations on current models. We have equipped Mac OS X over a thousand new features in just seven years. Snow Leopard lays the foundation to add thousands more", Says Bertrand Serlet, senior vice president of Software Engineering Apple."

With this release, Apple is looking to the future. It should be able to recognize, the PowerPC is already ancient history. Snow Leopard will be released in June 2009. To find the last PowerPC Mac, it was in late 2005, the PowerBook G4 (Dual Layer SD).

Prepare the G5 (PPC or the corresponding computer) Following the instructions in this article: Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard: preinstalling. That is going to ensure that the installation of the G5 is in the best conditions.
    • Check that both computers have a similar drive capacity or that of the PC with Intel's more to ensure that all information will fit on the Intel PPC
    • Insert the installation disc of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard on the computer's optical drive with Intel and off the MacBook Pro (or if the computer with Intel processor) And connect both computers with the Firewire cable, as in our case both have Firewire 800, the operation is even faster
    • Start the MacBook Pro Firewire Target mode by pressing T: I appear on screen a symbol of Firewire and portable hard disk on the desktop PPC (along with the installation DVD of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard)
    • Open Disk Utility and formatted the disk of the computer with Intel, you have on your desktop, formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled). This clears out the disk with Mac Intel from PPC.
    • Start Carbon Copy Cloner in the G5 and "clone" your installation of Mac OS X Leopard on the Mac hard drive with Intel. Just display the menu and choose a source disk and the Mac with Intel as a destination and clone it. Carbon Copy Cloner will work: You'll need a couple of hours, maybe more, maybe less, depending on the amount of information you store in the G5 (PPC).
    • When finished, shut down your Mac with Intel pressing the starter button. Unplug the Firewire cable
    • Reboot the Mac with Intel but this time by pressing the Option key (⌥): I see two options: EFI and the installation DVD of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard (it may take a while to appear, give few seconds to load.) Choose the DVD of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard to boot.
    • Follow the steps in the installer and select Macintosh HD (or whatever the Mac's hard drive with Intel.) The DVD of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard will update the installation of Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard for PPC with the new Intel-based version of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard.
    • When finished, simply Reboot and ... Surprise!: Your Mac with Intel display exactly the same settings you had in the PPC with the upgrade to Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard installed.

At this point we are making for system integrity tests, but the maneuver, except for some minor details, seems perfect. The PPC applications under Rosetta and tear and in general, in recent years almost all applications use a universal architecture (both codes) Commercial applications and operate almost all, we only had to update a couple of utilities that were outdated. This entire process has taken us 3 hours, taking most of the time the hard disk cloning as just 45 minutes to update to Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, on the other hand, is usually what it costs.

It seems that Apple has decided to end a cycle. The era of the PowerPC Macs over and the best example is knowing that the next Apple operating system will not be compatible with this architecture. Since the launch of the first Intel Macs have been many voices were raised against this change, but Apple has decided to stick with Intel processors and it seems that things are not going too bad. Apple had said during the first presentation Snow Leopard would not support Macs with PowerPC processors such and now finally confirmed that it will. The owners of these teams are not all happy, but at least have given them a few years since Apple switched to Intel side.