Thread: Gypsum vs Mass Loaded Vinyl??

Gypsum vs Mass Loaded Vinyl??

Actually I was preparing myself for the new I mean I was all set to purchase some MLV it is for the sound isolation project but after this I have read that gypsum 5/8" is around 3 lb/sq ft and it is cheaper also that is (MLV is 1-2 lb/sq ft). Here I want to ask you that why MLV be preferable?

Re: Gypsum vs Mass Loaded Vinyl??

It is not a either type of situation in my opinion. At the time of making a wall for smallest amount sound transmission, it is good to consider the lots of variables. One of the techniques is to have dissimilar layer with dissimilar sound individuality so that the noise gets attenuated in dissimilar ways in the diverse layers. If you want then just take this as a example in my studion which is at my home, in that I have tried to use a sandwich of caulked 3/4" plywood in flanked by layers of gypsum. And regarding this I believe it gave me better separation than just three layers of gypsum, so but I do not have so much of money to rip it all.

I have also faced this issue but around three weeks ago and at that time I have searched related to this and from one of the forum site I came to know the solution of it and I want to tell you here is that actually it is not. The factor which is matter for the isolation is mass and density. And on the basis of this only standard sheet rock is a far improved worth.

I have good luck in the layering sheet rock with homosote. As much as layers it get better. In this Homosote is also very cheap and also it is dense and in this different material is sheet rock which I think it will able to help in this case. In the last project the mistake which I have done it was because of the I separated the frame of the room from other rooms. In this I have neglected to separate the studs from the ceiling joists.

Yes I also know this in this the sound transmission throughout the walls is very low. For all but the loudest sounds, nothing much gets through. But actually bass frequencies are able to go through the ceiling/floor right through those studs. And also it is not so much bad. , but given how first-class the sound repression of the walls is, And in this I came to know that how big an matter having an structural link is irrespective of many of the layers you install over the studs.