Thread: Volume Button in Quick Tray disables Task Bar

Volume Button in Quick Tray disables Task Bar

Computer: HP Elitebook

I can't control my volume any more! Whenever I click on the icon in my tray next to my clock, the volume control flashes up for a second then disappears. After that, I can't click on anything on my whole Task bar (shortcuts, open programs, quicktray or Clock). The only thing that still works is the Start button.

I can Alt-Tab between programs, but clicking on those programs displayed in the Task Bar does not respond.

In the Windows Task Manager, I can close the explorer.exe process and relaunch the task from the Applications tab, which restores everything to working order--unless of course I click on the Volume icon again!

I tried using the System Restore, but after a 15-20 minute cycle including a reboot, I'm told that my system settings were not restored due to an unspecified error. I tried three different restore points in the last few weeks until I finally gave up on that route.

Is there anything short of a full re-install that I should try?

Re: Volume Button in Quick Tray disables Task Bar

Well, i dont know what might be the problem with your volume button or taskbar but system restore should fix it. Anyways, even i have had faced this error many times on my Vista and Windows 7 systems as well. But whenever my system fails to restore at any previous point in the normal boot, i just use to reboot the system in safe mode and than do system restore. Fortunately this is a trick that worked for me every time without any errors. I'll suggest you to try this out first and if yet you get the said error than reply back, we will try some troubleshoot.

The problem could well being related to the application or the system. There is a possibility that the system may be appended or affected by a virus and this is the reason you are not able to function for the thing. It could be that you are not able to get sort of the thing and make it process. So scan the system using a good antivirus tool and make it work.

Thanks for these tips.

I rebooted in Safe Mode, and found the System Restore, and I tried three different restore points, and I still get an unspecified error at the end.

I'll do a virus scan to see if that turns up anything.

The virus files once the enter your system their target is to disable or delete the system restore files. So that you cannot change back your system settings. Your files are corrupted. If you can manage to run recover option from your Windows bootable disc then it is possible that changes made by the virus can be restored. Scan your pc and run a registry repair tool like CCleaner.

Quote Originally Posted by craigdscribner View Post
    I rebooted in Safe Mode, and found the System Restore, and I tried three different restore points, and I still get an unspecified error at the end.

I'll do a virus scan to see if that turns up anything.
    Yeah, please go with Virus Scan as i guess that should be the last try you can give. There are possibilities of virus in your system as you are unable to restore in safe mode as well. If yet it won't get fixed than finally you may need to format and reinstall the system.