Thread: Determining the Choice of Packages in Ubuntu

Determining the Choice of Packages in Ubuntu

Hi,
    I want to install Ubuntu on my computer. It is already running on Windows XP. I want to add this has a secondary software which while be essential for backup. In the installation Ubuntu setup asked for the packages to install. What should I choose here. Does I must install all or only limited program. The other problem is that when I boot from Ubuntu disc the setup appears in text mode instead of graphic mode.

Re: Determining the Choice of Packages in Ubuntu

The installation system will then offer you an incredible amount of software to install, usually grouped by genre. If you choose all, the installation might take some time (like 1 or 2 hours) and take 3 or 4 GB of disk. This depends on your need what type of application and what software is needed to your. There is a wide range of packages in Linux.

If you choose a few things, you may be embarrassed to armholes. Try to read the help that accompanies the package. An idea anyway if you are installing software distributed in source form, you must have all the development tools (languages and libraries), whose name often ends no dev or devel. It occupies a large volume, but it ' is quite tedious if you want to install then manually. Other programs are fairly easy to add later.

You can install a few things to make a first quick installation. Look at the end if everything goes as you want, and start the installation, this time complete. You will not need to repeat the complicated process of partitioning, since it is already done. Or add additional packages using an advanced utility like Easy urpmi or apt-get.

To setup a graphic mode your installer should you set more or less automatically the GUI. He may fail. In this case, you should have at least one graphics mode that works,the 16 VGA (640 x 480 in 16 colors). It will give you time to install better then. If the GUI testing goes well, you should be able to accept that the GUI starts automatically at boot.

If during the first reboot, you come across something unusable like some horrible flashes then reboot and report to the boot manager you want to start in a lower level (type linux 3 at the LILO prompt, or type e the grub prompt which is recognizable by the inscription stage1 stage2, and add 3 end of the line. On some distributions (Debian) put S instead. You arrive in text mode and will have time to do a setup manual editing xorg.conf.