Thread: Cannot remove Security Essentials

Cannot remove Security Essentials

Okay I am not very good at computing. I installed Microsoft Security Essentials like few weeks ago. And now like two days back I was trying to remove it. But don't know due to some reasons I am just not able to uninstall it. I am using Windows 7 x64 bit. Whenever I try to remove it an error comes up with error code "0x8007064c". I had a system crash as I had replaced the shell32.dll. But performing System Recovery all my installed programs and applications and not getting uninstalled. Can some one please help me out.?

Re: Cannot remove Security Essentials

As you mentioned that there was a System crash as you replaced the shell32.dll. And since then you are not able to remove any programs and applications. So this sounds like there was some other major damage done to your system files. Over here you don't have much options now. I guess a fresh installation of Windows 7 is what looks bright option now. But ya you can try this out and check if it works. Try Reinstalling over the program and then try to uninstall it again. Give a shot. See if it helps.

Yes this System crash created a lot of problem. I checked for other system files, but everything looks fine to me. Well yes even for me a fresh new installation of Windows 7 looks a brighter option, but then I have many of my personal and important data stored in C drive wherein Windows is installed. So I have to keep this bright option aside. Any other suggestions please.?

Hey try this out. It might work can't guarantee though. because same thing had happened with one of my friend and after trying the following steps it worked for him and he didn't had to format his computer.
    Following are the steps:
    Open Command Prompt and open it as Administrator. To do so you have to right click on Command Prompt icon and select "Run as Administrator".
    Then a Black window will open up, in that type "sfc /scannow" and hit Enter. And then let it run, it will take some time though so be patient. It will check for corrupt and bad files on your system and will repair them.