Thread: How edit Registry to change public folder location

How edit Registry to change public folder location

Hi,
    Does any one know to change the public folder location in Windows. The default lies in the C. But I do not want my shared file to be there. As my system stays online regularly so I have a fear of virus infection. At least if I am able to change the default location I can protect the data from getting corrupted. I had tried this doing by a third party software. But it was not reliable. So any suggestions really appreciated.

Re: How edit Registry to change public folder location

Yes it is possible by editing Windows Registry key. But before that you must take a back of the registry key. Other wise you will loose your system in case of any crash. The default folder where vista stores the public folder is C:\Users\Public. If it is full or due to some security issue you can fix it. Instead of C you can assign D or any other drive to it. Open window registry file and navigate to the following path - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList. In that open the public folder and chane the location of D:\Public. Restart your system.

Here there are two ways by which you can change the location of public folder. The first one is by editing windows registry key. The location of file is stored in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\GoodLinkServer\parameters\publicfolders. The parameter under this is set by default and it is hidden. So you have to enable shows hidden files from the folder option. In this you can assign new key simply by right clicking and then select the public folder.

Click on My Computer and then click on Run. In the box type regedit. In the editor window navigate to - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup. On the set up folder go to the right pane. In the source path replace the drive letter. Instead of C put D. Close the registry editor and restart your pc. You will have to ensure that registry is the core file of Windows. Any error or problem can make your system unstable. So better take a back up of it.