Thread: iso to usb flash drive?

iso to usb flash drive?

Hi to all of you helping around here, Actually i'm trying to find out the way to put the ISO image of bootable CD on the USB drive and make the USB drive bootable. Does anyone know the method to achieve this? Thanks for any advice.

Re: iso to usb flash drive?

I haven't used this method but have some knowledge, First you need to make USB drive bootable.

There are many different programs available, but I have heard this works on a lot of drives. How to create a Bootable USB Key?

Then your motherborad needs to support booting from USB device. Then you need to extract files from ISO to put on drive....I think this correct. Give it try.

Yes its quite possible to make your pen drive as a bootable device, and use an ISO to boot from it. There is An application called WINIMAGE may be able to make your USB drive bootable. Remember that format your thumb drive from FAT not FAT32 or NTFS . Using another file system may cause the drive to die earlier due to excessive access done to the drive.

Best bet would probably be to extract the ISO to the flash drive and then just make it bootable. Few things you need to consider in advance:
    • The Motherboard has to support booting from a USB flash drive. There may be anywhere from 1-3 items to change in the BIOS to make this possible assuming your BIOS supports it. Some bios's may refer to your flash drive as a USB floppy or USB zip.
    • The USB flash drive must support booting from it in general.
    • The flash drive must contain the boot/system files.
    • he flash drive must have bootsector area. This is done with special utilities.