Thread: Windows main executable has stopped working

Windows main executable has stopped working

I am using a Dell laptop with Windows Vista. Since past one week whenever I start the laptop and login to my account, I first get greeted with a pop up message saying:

“Main executable has stopped working.”

I don’t know what is it related to but it never appears again until I restart the laptop, neither it creates any problem until the laptop is on. But still I would like to know what is meant by that error message and how can I fix it?

Re: Windows main executable has stopped working

To be frank, i am using Windows since long years but have never heard an error saying "Windows Main executable" ever before. hence it is very dificult to say what is the problem related to. Can you just do one thing, restart the laptop and when the pop appears again, simply printscreen and post the screen shot. Or just copy paste the entire error code and paste here.

Ok, sorry for the incomplete information Illeana. Here is the complete error message:

"Main Executable has stopped working
    A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

This pop use to have a Close button which on clicking goes away and enever appears until the system is rebooted. Any help now?

Not sure if this will help you out - but I was trying to download Screen Print 32 and I always received the main executable has stopped working error - in searching the net, I found a site that said to right click on the software's shortcut and run as administrator - as soon as I did that - the program finished downloading and works wonderfully.

Dear rdreilin; Thank you so much for your input. I read what you posted and tried it, and, voila!! It actually works!!!!!!!!! You, are fantastic. You are my new bestest friend,haha.

rdreilin you are the man/woman! I was looking for a fix for Screenprint32 error and running as administrator did the trick as you suggested, Bravo!