Thread: Is Dear Esther basically Myst?

Is Dear Esther basically Myst?

what we should call Dear Esther? When I asked the developer of the game they have told me that it is 'a poetic ghost story told using game Technologies'. Hence I don’t think so the word game is not justice if it is not falling any of the existing game genre available in the market. tell me what you will like to call similar kind of the game? any comments would be appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance.

Re: Is Dear Esther basically Myst?

The experience of Dear Esther cannot be considered as a game. I think it is something Myst without puzzles.

Dear Esther can be considered as walking on sand when night has been fallen and you are listening to some of the bad radio station. After sometime creep will come out into the game and after some moment radio would play the good song. I think it will be a unique experience to have but I Myst is supposed to be refined more.

Well it is something like bits and pieces kind of the storytelling without having the puzzles. You will not get other people except you and shadows in the game. all the narrator of the game will give you small amount of bits and pieces. The entire game has been filled with static objects and it will give lots of time to walk slowly in the game. I would not consider Dear Esther as a game rather than it would be a audio book which is having lots of pictures. You will not be able to get what is happening in the game. so there is nothing like game in it.

The writer of the game has mentioned that his goal was to make the game never concluded. Even it is having contradictory information. They have open the game for any kind of interpretation.

The story is not dependent on the player but I am wondering that story is the best part of Dear Esther. Due to great graphics as well as sound card. people are praising the story because of the narrative part of the game. Voice over is great but there is nothing special in text lines in the game.

I was wondering that it would be a Myst game and that’s why I have purchased the game. but after installing and playing the game I got there was feeling of isolation and immersion. I would not it as a game at all.
    However if you wanted to know people opinion then they are saying Interactive Poetry or Visual Novel.

Dear Esther is piece of artwork provided through game. I don’t think so it will fit under any genere of the game available ever released. But it does not mean its not a game.

I would recommend as a visual short story. I don’t like to call Dear Esther a video game. since you are not playing anything in the game. as far as I know a game should have interaction which will lead to provide an output which is based on the thing you have done. In fact Dear Esther is having lots of poetic elements and using visuals. Hence I recommend to call Dear Esther as visual short story which is based on the narrative.