Thread: Disable crosshairs option in RAGE

Disable crosshairs option in RAGE

Like many other people I never liked to have crosshairs in FPS games, its very arcade and primitive and since Killing Floor I especially hate forced crosshairs which you can't remove. Please remember to have an option to remove crosshairs, it is a very minor and easy thing to add but very important.

Re: Disable crosshairs option in RAGE

Well this is ID software and not Bethesda so I doubt it because I have never ever seen any FPS that you can disable the cross-hair without going into something like hardcore mode (CoD) so I wouldn't count on it. But I am sure someone will make a mod to disable crosshairs. I somehow forgot that when I made that comment. Too bad I'm on console, no crosshair mod for me.

I would like to have the option to not have crosshairs. But let’s look at another way: If crosshairs are disabled, you will spend almost your entire time shooting in this first person shooter looking down the sights. With such a beautiful game as this, I would not enjoy seeing it through a red dot sight. I would rather have the tight crosshairs- however "arcadey" they may be, than to limit the visuals of this game by staring at the butt of a gun. Maybe id doesn’t have the option to disable crosshairs to stop you Ultra real nuts from hindering yourselves visually for the sake of your obsession with realism. Anyway, this game isn’t even ultra realistic in the HUD. I mean, there is a meter that measures the heat of turrets that appears at the top of the screen.

I know for a fact that this never happens in Killing Floor or COD4 with disabled crosshairs, you use both ways equally. Also your brain adapts pretty quickly at discerning where the bullets will go and some weapons have attachments, like flashlights and laser pointers, so it further makes crosshairs silly and redundant.

It will just be a console command variable, you know ID will ship rage with a bazillion cmds for its console. Why take effort to add it to the options and design the UI also accordingly when you can have a tiny command to do it in the console.

I personally like shooters which feel "arcadey", like all of Id's previous titles. I got to say that having iron sights and crosshairs simultaneously is rather strange and pointless (I rarely bothered using iron sights in STALKER until I got a scope). I can't think of any game where it isn't possible to remove the crosshair though.

It’s too bad I didn't have a button to give this statement thumbs up. I played avp2 with no crosshairs or iron sights and I dominated the servers a lot of the time. Like he says, you figure out pretty quickly where the center of the screen is. Not like you actually have time to line up your shot with the crosshairs anyway. If you do, you’re most likely looking down the scope of a sniper.

Well considering I just finished playing Killing Floor, I can tell you it's the other way around. What's arcarey and useless is the auto aim they give you in a cross hairless game, like if you can just magically hit your targets because you're a badass or something. Consider FPS with crosshairs, on the PC, you have to really on your own skills to keep up with your moving targets. I can tell you Killing Floor feels really arcadey, and that's what I like about it. Now on console crosshairs are useless, because even if you don't know it, you always have a sort of auto-aim system, so yeah on consoles crosshairs are pointless. But on PC, no, I don't want the games to become way easier with auto-aim like in Killing Floor, I like a challenge.

I hope it’s an option I have gotten used to having no cross hairs and now anytime I seem them they just look weird and out of place to me, it wouldn't be a hard thing to do and it’s a fairly standard option in shooters these days so it being an option seems fairly likely.