Thread: The elder scrolls: How old could Gothren be?

The elder scrolls: How old could Gothren be?

I'd be quite grateful if some lore buff helped me figure out this little problem. I've developed Gothren quite a lot for RPs and fan fiction, but I can't give him a proper background before I have at least a clue about how old he could be. Fast Eddie describes Gothren and Dratha as "barely living". Dratha has "been a Telvanni councilor since they invented dirt". Aryon's coded message to Fyr says: "Even Gothren and Neloth must admit that you are older and wiser and in every way superior to them in the arcane arts." Alright, so Gothren is old, but HOW old? There is one clue that I have found in his dialogue, but it is far from precise.

Re: The elder scrolls: How old could Gothren be?

From this I guess that Gothren was at least rather young when they appointed a Hortator the last time. One guess I had was that the war he talked about was the Imperial invasion, but then the great houses did not co-operate very well. No talk about a Hortator and the Redoran were left alone to defend the border. Any good guesses what war he could have meant? Am I just misunderstanding, so he means that the last time the council all agreed on something was back when he was an apprentice? In that case, they did perhaps agree to be neutral in that conflict so I could just have that as backup plan I guess?

Well, one of Fyr's 'daughters' told us her father is at least 4000 years old. That would make Gothren younger. I also think to know that a regular Dunmer lives up to 500 years. That would mean he would be older as he's described as barely living. The Nerevarine lives in 3E 427. Gothren's earliest possible birth date would be around 2E 824 (500 years old). His latest (4000 years - given that Fyr is actually older) would be 1E 201. The latter would be hardly credible as it exceeds the apotheosis of the Tribunal.

You have to look for bigger wars that would involve House Telvanni. I think the Arnesian War isn't big enough and too late. The War of the First Council would be too early. There remains only the Four-Score War (1E 2840 - 2920). Sometime in the late 1st era, since the war against Reman was the last major military campaign for Morrowind (that we know of). I think he might have been an apprentice then. So he might have been born some decades before 1E 2840.

In the ballpark of around 3000 years old if I were to guess. DF has lived through most of recorded history, and is the oldest fart in the world. Yes, even older than the immortal Tribunal. Also, a noble dunmer would likely live to 500. Peasants to around 200 at best, or something. Mages can live longer than nobles, and the most powerful and talented seem to live forever. 200 to a Telvanni wizard is a child. Old is when you hit over 1000.

If he was born in the late 1st era that makes him about 1500 years old. That definitely fits the description "barely living" and would explain his backward views. Also, Neloth calls Senise Thindo, who is 200, a mere child. If they only managed to extend their 500 years with a couple of hundred extra they would not think like that. Another option would have been the Akaviri invasion, but then there was no real war since Vivec took care of it in an alternative way.