Thread: World Eating and Skyrim in the elder scrolls

World Eating and Skyrim in the elder scrolls

I think it can be presumed, that in TES V, Dovahkiin will prevent Alduin from eating the world and thus prevent the current Kalpa from ending. Well, I've heard many theories as to why Alduin needs to eat the world every so many years -such as the dreamer waking up-, but I think at the least it can also be presumed that he eats for it a reason. In Skyrim, unless the next game will have to be a prequel or be in a very different world, what will happen?

Re: World Eating and Skyrim in the elder scrolls

Well considering that Skyrim is in the third century of the fourth era (the third era being around 450 years long), and the love letter is only in the fifth era, honestly, the technology mentioned and stuff seems odd to be so close, so much so that I'm tempted to call the letter non-canon, or at least the date on it incorrect. I just noticed that the letter is around 900 years into the fifth era. This seems very feasible now. I'm still very curious to see what will happen because of Alduin's not ending the Kalpa.

I don't think anything will stop him from eating the world. It can be postponed or bypassed. Love letter seems definite proof that it will be postponed/ evaded in some way. Maybe he gets diarrhea or super dragon break or he starts pushing stuff into other time periods because he's too full, like the love letter. It'll be interesting to see the consequences of the dragonbreak in Skyrim that will inevitably happen. It's almost like it'd kind of be a bad thing for Alduin to not eat the world.

Depending on the events of Skyrim, (assuming a dragon break occurs, the plot might not provide cause for it) the various timelines that play out during the chaos of a Dragon Break could have wide-spanning geo-political consequences. Depending on the Empire's role in the plot, the final result of a Dragon break after the minute-menders repair Akatosh could be a revival of Imperial power. Of course, there's a bit too many cloud’s here.

Still, I hope we never get to see the future descibed in the Loveletter come to pass, not because I necessarily object to the thought that it describes a canonical future to the Elder Scrolls series, but rather because I want the series to preserve its Medieval-ish fantasy feel, if Bethesda wants to do science-fiction, they should keep it to Fallout, or start a new series if they want to try concepts that wouldn't fit the setting of Fallout, for the Elder Scrolls, I'd prefer to keep any advanced technology we see to the Dwemer or Sotha Sil.

However, what exactly will happen should the Dovahkiin stop Alduin from eating the world (Which I think is pretty much guaranteed unless Skyrim has multiple endings.) is something we'll just have to wait and see, maybe a dragon break will happen, maybe we'll find out the reason why Alduin eats the world, or maybe it will just turn out that things go on just fine, but seeing as Bethesda seems to like to have the players' success in one game lead to potentially unexpected consequences in the next, perhaps the same will be true in Skyrim, but as to what form that could take, perhaps we'll have more information to speculate on once we've had a chance to see where the story goes.

I didn't think about the consequences of stopping Alduin until I read this thread. But maybe we're getting ahead of ourselves. Do we really know whether the plot of "Skyrim" is aimed at preventing the kalpa's end? Also, maybe we'll only postpone the end of the kalpa, not prevent it. I'm not a believer, but I read an interesting thing once about God: he wouldn't live from moment to moment, the way we mortals do, but instead in all times simultaneously. Maybe the end of the kalpa is fated to occur, and Akatosh is seeing everything play out the way he knew it would.