Thread: Size of Tamriel in the Elder Scrolls

Size of Tamriel in the Elder Scrolls

Hello guys I am having one question against the Elder Scrolls game. I don’t know how many of you observe this thing but can someone tell me how big is Tamriel in sq miles/kilometers? From the northern most point to the southernmost point? East to West? How big is Cyrodiil for that matter? I try to found about this on official site of the Elder Scrolls but I didn’t get any information on it. So please if someone know about this then please let me know. Thank you.

Re: Size of Tamriel in the Elder Scrolls

Apparently the size changes from one game to the next. I'll dig around and see if I can find a number though. It took very little time to find some scaled maps over at the IL, but you'll have to eyeball the scale thing in the map's key to get an estimate of the sizes/distances you are looking for, or take the image and load it into an image editing/viewing program and you can get a more accurate number. I might not set my hopes to high as far as the numbers lining up from different maps, but maybe.

As a side question to that observation (4200 to Akavir), I'm going to check to see how long it took comparable ships to travel that distance in Earth's own history, and see how it compares to the 2 weeks or whatever that is reported in the Disaster at Ionith book. 4200 is a guess, by the map-maker, mind you. Both of those are unofficial maps. As for how he survived, Uriel V also did a bit of island hopping for his campaign and his battlemages actually started to create water and the like as the campaign neared its ugly end.

Using the distances from the Arena fast travel map, it's about 2800 miles from Daggerfall to Necrom and about 2000 from Solitude to Senchal. This would make Tamriel roughly the size of the continental United States, give or take, which seems like a much more reasonable estimate. The 250 miles on the map scale is probably taken from a line in the Morrowind section of the first PGE that mentions that Red Mountain is 250 miles north of Mournhold.

That's about half the scale presented in Arena. Its possible Bethesda intentionally cut the size of the game world in half, intentionally moved Mournhold north or Red Mountain south, or just forgot about the Arena numbers. Whatever the reason, I'm not sure that one line should be used as a basis for determining the size of the continent. I know it's heretical to put Arena "lore" ahead of PGE lore, but I think in this one case it gives a more realistic size for Tamriel, given all the geographical and climatological differences throughout the provinces.

I like the way you think! Perhaps the anti-elven author of the PGE asked the locals how far away Red Mountain was, heard back "250 (Dunmer distance units)" and decided he or she didn't want to sully the PGE with elven nonsense. The author just swapped out the actual unit for good old Imperial miles, naturally assuming that solid, dependable Imperial measurement systems are more precise than the Dunmer's anyway.