Thread: Playing DOS games on Windows 7

Playing DOS games on Windows 7

Hi, basically i am a Windows Xp user but recently have upgraded my system to Windows 7. And i liked this operating system very much in terms of new features and all. Now the problem is that whenever am trying to run any Dos games for my kids on Windows 7, it gives me an error message saying "This system does not support full screen mode." I dont have any idea about this. Could you guys please make me know, is it possible to play DOS games on Windows 7 ? If yes, How?

Re: Playing DOS games on Windows 7

Thats correct. Not only Windows 7, but also Vista and windows XP as well wont support DOS games, i think. With free software D-Fend Reloaded, you'll be able to play your games directly from DOS preferred Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7. D-Fend Reloaded is an improved graphical interface for DOSBox, the famous DOS emulator. It lets you install and run many DOS games directly from a window, without even having to use the command line.

D-Fend Reloaded is running Windows XP, Windows Vista and with Windows 7 in its 32-and 64-bit. And to play now, follow our instructions to download your old DOS games for free preferred.

In order to play DOs games on your Windows 7 system , i'll suggest you to download and install D-Fend Reloaded. You'll now be able to install and play your old DOS games. Here are some tips that can help you, just go through it:
    • Double click the D-Fend Reloaded to the desktop if it is not yet executed.
    • Click the Other menu and then click Open directory games.
    • In the folder that opens is the list of DOS games that you can run on D-Fend Reloaded. This list is currently empty.
    • Open the folder, CD or floppy disk from your old game and copy all files and folders.
    • Go to the folder games of D-Fend Reloaded and paste the files in a folder with the name of the game (by limiting it to 8 characters with no accents or spaces).
    • Back in the window D-Fend Reloaded, click the Other menu and then click Digging up the repertoire of games for new games.
    • Click Analyze directory games.
    • Check the box before the game found.
    • Click the Add button and select the games close the window.
    • Double click on the title of the game for launch.
    • The software reminds you that you can toggle between a window and full screen with the keyboard shortcut Alt + Enter. You can also close DOSBox at any time by using the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + F9. OK.
    • Your game is then launched from DOS.

The configuration of each game is stored in a profile. If a game does not work properly, you need to edit their profile after the necessary recommendations to the game. Here is how to do the same:
    1. To alter them click the right mouse button and click Edit.
    2. You can then adjust the video settings, sound, keyboard and mouse for this game

If you do not keep the diskettes or CD of your old DOS games, you can find them on the Internet. Firstly, the site of D-Fend Reloaded offers packages of games and game demos in DOS you can download freely. These packs contain full games freeware, demos, shareware games, as well as pre-configured profiles of the different games.

Some sites offer abandonware, old games that are not commercially available to date, and have been for a long time, and whose customer service was also abandoned. This practice is currently tolerated by the publishers.