Thread: Is Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince compatible with Windows 7

Is Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince compatible with Windows 7

I have played the earlier versions of Harry Potter and have enjoyed it a lot. So, I am very curious to play the latest version of it. But, I want to know is Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince compatible with Windows 7 since I have come to know that many of the games do not work in Windows 7 because of the compatibility issues. I am currently using Windows Vista operating system and am deciding to upgrade my system to Windows 7. Please suggest me suitable solutions.

System requirements for Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

I dont think that Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince is compatible with Windows 7 since the game is not supported for that particular platform. Here are the system requirements for Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince:

MINIMUM
    Operating System: Windows XP/Vista
    Processor: Pentium 4 @ 1.8 GHz
    RAM: 256 MB
    Hard Disk: 5 GB Free
    Video Card: 64 MB (NVIDIA GeForce2 MX 400/ATI Radeon 7500)
    Sound Card: DirectX Compatible
    DirectX Version: 9.0c

RECOMMENDED
    Operating System: Windows XP/Vista
    Processor: Intel Core 2 DUO @ 2.13 GHz
    RAM: 1 GB
    Hard Disk: 5 GB Free
    Video Card: 128 MB
    Sound Card: DirectX Compatible
    DirectX Version: 10

Do not upgrade to Windows 7

I can assure you that Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince is not compatible with Windows 7. There are many other games and applications that are not compatible with Windows 7, so do not upgrade to Windows 7. Here are the reasons:
    1. It is more or less the same as Windows Vista.
    2. It is costly than the other operating systems.
    3. There are no issues with Windows XP and Windows Vista.
    4. The same problematic infrastructure is used for making all the Microsoft operating systems.
    5. If do an upgradation form Windows XP, a clean install is required.
    6. Incompatible programs and applications are a major issue of Windows 7.

Use the dual boot method

Rather than upgrading to Windows 7, I suggest you to use the dual boot method in your computer. I think that Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince is not compatible with Windows 7. So, a dual boot system helps in such cases as you cannot find alternatives or complements for the games. For getting a dual boot menu, you will have to install one of the operating systems in another drive in your machine. So, you will get the WINDOWS BOOT MANAGER screen when you start the computer. So, you can load the operating system you want and thus work with the incompatible programs.

Check for the incompatibilities in Windows 7

You can check for the incompatibilities in Windows 7 operating system by using the Hardware and Software evaluation tool. Thus, you can come to know if Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince is compatible with Windows 7. You can come to know about all the types of incompatibilities and thus, look for the alternatives and compatibilities available in the market.

Eradicate the installation errors

I suppose that Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince is compatible with Windows 7. Just make sure that you do not run any other applications in the background of the installation process. This will eradicate the installation errors that take place in some cases that becomes the reason for the game or application not loading in the system. That is why it is always alerted at the beginning of the installation to quit all other applications before starting the installation process.
    With great power comes great responsibility - Spiderman's Uncle

The Greatest Sig Ever

Re: Is Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince compatible with Windows 7

I know this is an old thread but someone searching for an answer to the subject might find this useful.

I'm using Windows 7 64 bit and tried everything to get this game working for my nephew. The last thing I did was removed the tiny little letters "TM" from the name of the game folder in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince\pc".

I cannot reproduce the little "TM" characters here but the folder had the tiny letters right after the word Prince in the folder name.

I also removed the "TM" from the desktop icon. I had already set compatibility mode to XP sp2 but I don't know if this is necessary or not.

I hope this helps someone.

Cheers,

Lee Shamrock