Thread: Microsoft game error "Failed to verify media. Installation cancelled"

Microsoft game error "Failed to verify media. Installation cancelled"

Hi, basically i am a Mac Os X user but i have bought a new computer with Windows XP for my kids to play Microsoft games on it. I also bought some games like Age of Empires III, Microsoft Gears of War and Rise of Nations. Now when i am trying to install any of these games, the system gives me an error saying "Failed to verify media. Installation cancelled."

As i am new to Windows, i don't know what might be the cause of this error and how to fix that. Could you guys please help me out regarding the same? Thanks in advance.

Re: Microsoft game error "Failed to verify media. Installation cancelled"

There might be several causes for this kind of errors with Microsoft Games. But some of the causes may be like the CD drive is incompatible with the program or you are using a copy of the program CD. So first of all make sure that the game disc is inserted in the CD drive. Insert the original game disc in the CD drive, and then restart the program.

In case you have fast user switching turned on, you may require an update file. To obtain this update just click on this Microsoft link..

I think, to fix this problem you need to update the SafeDisc. To see whether you need these updates installed, follow these steps:

• Insert your game play disc.
    • Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
    • Type your CD letter and a colon, and then press ENTER.
    • Type dir /a:h, and then press ENTER.

This will display all the hidden files on the disc. If there is a file that is named "SSIFSDAT.SYS" present, you do not need these updates installed for the game you are using. However, the installation of these updates may benefit other games.

I am little bit aware of this error cause i have faced this once as well. It also occurs when you are not logged on to the computer as an Administrator. Try installing the game again on your XP computer after loggin in as an administrator. If the problem still exist again than disable or change compatibility mode. To do so:-

1. Right-click the shortcut icon for the program, and then click Properties.
    2. On the Compatibility tab, click to clear the Run this program in compatibility mode for check box.
    3. Alternatively, on the Compatibility tab, select the compatibility mode Windows XP.
    4. Click OK.
    5. Start the program by using the shortcut that you just modified.

Thats it !!