Thread: Advantages of Windows Live Writer

Advantages of Windows Live Writer

Instead of writing a post while connected the Internet, I would suggest to disconnect from the Internet and use a desktop blog editor.

There are many desktop blog editors available like Windows Live Writer (WLW).

Some useful features of Windows Live Writer are -

• Write Blog posts offline:
      Windows Live Writer lets me write and save posts as drafts even when I have trouble connecting to the Internet. I can publish the post whenever I get to access the Internet again.

• No need for FTP software:
      Earlier to insert images on my posts I had to open SmartFTP and wait till my images were uploaded and then head to my WordPress ‘Write Post’ page and insert the image. Using Windows Live Writer, I just have to copy and paste the image to the post and Windows Live Writer will upload the image automatically when I publish the post.

• Write on multiple blogs from one place:
      Windows Live Writer supports most blog platforms like WordPress, Blogger and TypePad and so you can write for all the blogs you own or write for from one place. No need to login to each blog platform anymore.

Re: Advantages of Windows Live Writer

Some more advantages are -

Support for Plug-ins - Windows Live Writer lets you install plug-ins that extent its functionality. For example, there is a plug-in called Flickr4Writer which lets you search and insert images from Flickr (it would have been helpful if the plugin-in would also have an option to search only within Creative Commons-licensed photos and those that can be used commercially and be modified).

Web layout view mode - Windows Live Writer has a cool Web layout view mode that lets you see posts just the way it would look like on your blog while writing the post itself. WLW also lets you update the Weblog Style whenever you want, very useful if you redesign your blog. This is one of my favorite features of Windows Live Writer.

Post Draft to Weblog - Windows Live Writer allows to post my drafts to my blog and even lets me edit it from there.

• Link Glossary:
      I don’t need to type a frequently linked site over and over again. Windows Live Writer provides a feature called Link Glossary that will let me save the links (URL, Text and Title). Link Glossary is available in Tools>Options>Link Glossary. You can add a link to the Link Glossary by right-clicking it and selecting ‘Add to Glossary’.

• Image Effects:
      Windows Live Writer lets me give a Drop Shadow or Photopaper effect to my images. Other image effects include black and white, sepia tone, temperature adjustment, color pop, sharpen, Gaussian blur and emboss. Windows Live Writer even lets you add a Watermark to your images.

• Image Actions:
      I am able to rotate and even adjust the brightness and contrast of my images through Windows Live Writer itself. The Windows Live Writer logo you see on this post was rotated this way. Earlier I had to use Photoshop for it and wait for it to load.

You can also automatically save drafts as well as insert tables in WLW.

Also using Windows Live Writer, less time is wasted. Because, you can save and preview posts instantly with the click of a button. No need to waste your time logging in too.